Part III • Chapter XXV

Spectral Imaginarium

- Trigger Warning -

Sang

"Gabriel?" I watched him in confusion, not having any idea what he might mean. How did I get where? To our current location in the middle of the creepy woods?

He was rubbing the back of his neck—clearly uncomfortable. "Here, Sang." he answered. "How did you get here?"

I glanced around. We were in the forest again, the one where I had usually run into Danielle. How I had gotten here—or where even here was—I had no idea. Obviously, I had astral projected again, but I never had been able to control where I visited while in such a state.

"I don't know."

Gabriel frowned, deep in thought. "Technically, you should be able to control it—to go anywhere. Mr Blackbourne said in theory the destination must be familiar. We always assumed that you came here because it was an important place to you, so we never brought it up before. There was too much going on..."

"No," I studied the area again before returning my gaze to him. "No, I don't recognize this place at all."

"Interesting."

"Why?" The thoughtful expression on his face confused me. I wasn't sure what any of this had to do with our previous conversation.

Gabriel met my eyes before lifting a finger and poking me on the forehead. "Because, Trouble. I think you come here because it's a place that brings you peace."

No, that wasn't true. Every time I'd come in the past I was either afraid, or accosted by Danielle's lecturing. Plus, there was something else too...

No matter what, it was always the same time of day here. The same weather. Every time, the shadows fell in terrifying patterns on the ground. This place was far from a relaxing location—it was scary. And nothing about it rattled any sort of memory within me.

"I don't know," I replied, stepping closer to him. "I don't know anything anymore..."

Gabriel frowned, but didn't respond. Instead, his head snapped up—listening. After a moment, his eyes shot back down to me. "Do you hear that?"