Part I • Chapter XIII

Hidden Messages

Sang

Sang

I speared another broccoli with my fork as I studied the men in front of me.

I noticed that there wasn't a set pattern over who sat in which seats, except for myself and Mr Blackbourne. The tables were rectangular with no chairs at the end, so Mr Blackbourne and myself were always sitting in the centermost location across from each other. 

For dinner tonight Dr Green and Luke were sitting beside me, with Kota and Victor beside Mr Blackbourne.

I wondered if this arrangement meant meant I wouldn't be sitting next to Mr Blackbourne at any point.

The four of them were talking in code about a successful plan they had just pulled off while I had been taking a bath. Although I don't think they expected me to know what they were talking about, there were a lot of pregnant pauses and silent looks. 

I wasn't able to tell much, just that it was classified and that the main people involved were Luke and Victor. I wonder what happened.

I stirred my coffee as I semi-listened to them talk and crunched away at the broccoli. I wonder if anyone would say anything if I added more milk to my coffee, there was something missing. It definitely needed to be sweeter. Or maybe it needed a touch more sugar. 

I didn't know exactly how I preferred my coffee yet, I didn't have the luxury of drinking coffee very much before.

North told me that it was weird that I was drinking coffee with dinner. He then started to say something when he saw me putting sugar in a few minutes ago, but Silas elbowed him into silence. 

I couldn't help it, coffee was addicting and was quickly becoming a favorite of mine, maybe the administration people were onto something.

"Miss Sorenson?"

The sound of my name drew my attention back to Mr Blackbourne. The four men had apparently asked me a question and I completely had not noticed. I nonchalantly pushed the cup away from me a bit. "I'm sorry? I didn't catch that."