Part III • Chapter XIV

Confidence

- Trigger Warning -

Sang

Sang

I blinked stupidly at Chet, cursing my luck that the current cause of all my woes happened to be the person who hated Owen more than anything else in the world. Chet, however, only stared at me with the same stunned look on his face.

Belatedly it occurred to me, why would he be surprised if he was the one who had ordered my kidnapping?

Then I noticed the man besides Chet, whom I had completely overlooked before.

The man was about the same height as Chet, and had brown, wavy hair. His bright blue eyes sparkled with amusement. However, something about him screamed at me that his type of entertainment wasn't entirely free-spirited and innocent.

Chet blinked rapidly as he appeared to regain his composure, and he narrowed his eyes at the man beside him. "Would you care to explain to me what the fuck is going on here?"

The man grinned cheekily and waved his hand nonchalantly in the air. "It's no big deal, just a little insurance. That's all."

"What are you talking about?" Chet glanced back at me, and frowned deeply as he watched Roe walk me to a makeshift seat and sat me on it. In response, I huddled up as small as I could make myself.

Chet continued with his rant as his focus went back and forth from me to the brunette. "I don't understand, I did not sign up for this kind of shit. You do realize that Owen is going to be even more annoyingly relentless and noble now?"

The man shrugged and walked away, headed towards the center of the room where he sat in a makeshift chair of his own. Chet frowned after him, but didn't move. "I'm asking you a question! What in the world were you thinking?"

The man's expression snapped from playful to frightening in the blink of an eye, and his furious focus was now on Chet. "Are you arguing with me, Chet Adair? Have you forgotten about your deal?"