Part III • Chapter XXI

Mirrored

Sang

Sang

"What do you mean?" Luke's voice was strained and regret lined the edges of his expression. His crystal eyes had taken on a glassy, frightening look, and I was almost afraid to tell him my memories now.

"What did they do?" He asked, and suddenly, his emotions flared in both fury and terror. I wasn't quite sure why. After all, what I had said shouldn't have had any real meaning to anyone. Not yet...

Because I didn't even know or understand what I was saying at this point.

"I- I don't know." I admitted, my eyes drifted from his face and I watched the hard planes of his chest instead. Normally, I would have fantasized about said chest. But at the moment something else weighed heavy in my mind. The few, sad and frightening memories that I now had of my mother.

"I don't r- remember much." I felt stupid about admitting it. Especially since Luke seemed to be so into this conversation.

Luke was quick to notice my hesitance. And the fierce expression on his face changed into something different. Understanding and steadfast determination.

"Sang." Luke said my name with a sigh. And his hand warmed my arm and shoulder as his palm glided along my skin. "Sang, it doesn't matter what has happened to you in the past. You'll get through it, we'll get through it. I know we will. You don't need to force yourself to remember anything."

No, he didn't understand. I watched Luke's serious face through my watery eyes, unsure of how to explain my feelings. I wanted to know, I wanted to remember everything.

But Owen had also been right that night. Because I also didn't want to explore those memories. Not in depth. Not right now.

"But..." I tried to think of the words to explain the turbulence of my emotions. What if, when I did remember, it would be too much? Would I forget everything again, and it would be like nothing ever had happened? Could I lose my sanity if I kept this up? I didn't even know anymore.