Part II • Chapter XVII

The Levels of Consciousness

Sang

Sang

It was dark, and I completely and utterly did not want to be here right now. Yet, I couldn't escape either.

I did not think that I was dreaming this time, nor was I having another projection. If felt different, more ominous and terrifying. However, what else could it be? The only two things I knew were my nightmares, and projection. In my nightmares I could never fight back, nor was I able to do anything but be a victim of the events around me. Yet, right now, I was aware.

I opened my voice to call out, to see if perhaps Danielle was lurking nearby. Maybe I was wrong to assume. I wasn't necessarily an expert in any of this, after all.

Nothing happened.

My hands shot to my throat, and I tried to talk again. Once again with no results. However, there was also no pain accompanying my lack of voice - it was nothing like when I had drank the lemon juice and vinegar.

I just simply couldn't speak.

Well, this was bad. Even I knew that that was probably the understatement of the year. North was going to be very unhappy with me. I would never escape the hovering now.

I ran blindly forward, unable to call for help, unable to see where I was going. Yet something told me that I needed to move, to get away from here. I did not want to be in this place at all.

My arms reached out as I tried to grab onto something, anything. But nothing was around me. In response to my panic, the darkness seemed to expand - it became even heavier and more suffocating.

What was happening?

Then, faintly at first, I heard the sound of a woman singing. It was soft, yet the sound soon became loud in comparison to the smothering silence. I could clearly hear the song, or so I thought. Yet the words were indistinguishable. However, the voice, the tune - both were so familiar.