Part III • Chapter IV

Division in the Ranks

Sang

Sang

"Silas." I pushed his dark hair back from his forehead, and noticed that his skin was clammy again. I frowned and wiped the damp makeshift cloth back over his face.

Shortly after I had felt Silas' distress, and dealt with near-panic that that experience caused, North and Nathan had arrived carrying an unconscious Silas between them. After that, fear and anxiety had become the furthest things my mind.

There was simply no time, Silas needed Sean's one hundred percent focus.

Silas needed me to be there for him, I was Sean's assistant, after all.

A lot of the worrying had been for nothing, thankfully. On top of a slight gash on his side, which didn't bleed all that much, Silas had allowed himself to be stabbed on the thigh in order to hasten the end of a battle. The thigh wound was what caused the blood loss.

Thankfully, though, Sean had declared that Silas was in moderate shape now. He would be alright as long as he rested and ate enough for recovery.

North and Sean left straight away to get Cuddles, with North muttering about protein. I had no idea what he was talking about, and why he needed Sean, but I didn't think to ask. My focus was on Silas. I was supposed to take care of him.

They left Nathan outside to guard the area. But even with Nathan hovering about, I still felt nervous here.

Sean had needed a semi-controlled environment to set up in, for Silas. It so happened that while he had been patrolling earlier, Nathan had come across medieval looking shacks scattered throughout the forest. Upon examination, Nathan and North determined that we could make due in one such building for the time being.

It would be risky to stay, but Sean pointed out that we needed a day or two to rest up before moving on. But I still didn't like it. I felt like there were eyes everywhere.

"Sang."

I jumped at the sound of my name and focused back on Silas. He was awake! I wondered if I had been spacing out for a long time. "Silas!" I was so relieved. "I'm so glad! How are you feeling?"