Part III • Chapter XXIII

Darkest Before Dawn

Victor

Victor

"Sang!" Mr Blackbourne's shout echoed throughout the room. Even so, I found that I couldn't even breathe enough to copy him. I couldn't move, couldn't speak.

I couldn't tear my eyes away from Sang.

Devastation such that I had never felt before in my life threatened to consume me. Our bond, a constant that had provided some measure of comfort, felt as if it was gone. I didn't even realize how much I had taken it for granted, and now, I felt nothing. No emotions, no presence, no spirit, no sense of the life that was my princess.

I felt as if I was dying.

I didn't understand how this was possible. Blood bindings were supposed to be unbreakable. But... maybe I was wrong, maybe it wasn't gone. Could we still be bound and no longer feel her emotions? I didn't think so, but I was not an expert on this subject.

But then again, if the bond had been broken why was Efrain still standing? The nearly clear color of Luke's barrier was still present as well.

She was still using our abilities. It couldn't be broken. But then...

Kota and Mr Blackbourne - along with Dr Green - were the ones who knew the most about blood bonds. And the three of them seemed to be on the verge of furious retribution. So that probably wasn't a good sign.

And Sang...

She had collapsed onto the ground, seemingly unconscious. Yet, I couldn't get over how close she looked to dead. However, what was even more startling was the shape that hovered over her still form.

It was Sang, but it was also not her too. Sang's eyes - which been curious and full of life before the events of the past few days - had taken on a glassy quality. She only stared unseeing in our direction. Her hair drifted around her eerily, almost appearing as if she were underwater.

She looked like a wraith.

Even if he had been highly distraught at the sight, Mr Blackbourne still didn't miss a beat. "You are only stalling the inevitable. Even if you do win the games through this display, to what end? You cannot possibly think you'll make it out of here alive now."