Part II • Chapter VIII

The Gentreau Family

Sang

Sang

"What if they don't like me?" I worried out loud as Gabriel started to do something twisty with my hair. "I mean, aren't these kind of people like all proper and stuff? Then, I'm me. I grew up in district six, for goodness sake!"

Gabriel tugged a lock of my hair, chastising me. "Don't put yourself down like that, Sang. The two younger ones like you. Why wouldn't they? You are perfect as shit. If they don't like you then they can go fuck themselves."

"Gabriel!"

"Do not Gabriel me," He continued. "Besides, from what Mr Blackbourne said, you don't need to worry your pretty little head. They aren't asshole elites, like Mr Assbourne or Chet."

"Mr..." I wanted to look at Gabriel, but he had me sitting with my back to the mirror, so I couldn't see him from my current position. "What?"

Surely I had misheard?

"Mr Assbourne." Gabriel said without missing a beat. "I mean, only you and Dr Green are allowed to call Mr B by his first name. Goddamn if I am going to use Mr Blackbourne Sr and Mr Blackbourne Jr anytime I need to distinguish between that fucker and Mr B. I was going to go with Mr Fuckassbourne, or even Humbert Humbert, but the first didn't rhyme and the second..." He trailed off, "Well, not everyone might get the reference."

Why couldn't he just use Mr B and Mr Blackbourne? I knew that my eyes were wide with horror. "Meanie, that's terrible. That's Owen's father. What if he hears you?"

Gabriel started to say something else, but a smooth voice joined in the conversation. "I don't mind. It may be crude, but it does fit him."

I glanced up and saw that Mr Blackbourne was leaning against the open doorway that lead into the living quarters. He clearly had heard the whole conversation, and he actually seemed to be rather amused.