Part III • Chapter IX

The Hunting Party

Sang

Sang

"This is gonna be fucking epic!" Gabriel grabbed my left hand and Victor held on to my right, as they both led me behind them excitedly.

It was late afternoon, and Luke and Kota were now back at the cottage taking a nap. In the meantime, Owen, Silas, and Nathan had been up to various activities nearby - mostly patrolling the area and other things that I had no idea about. I had just been about to go crazy from boredom when Owen had checked in on us and suggested that Gabriel and I go on a hunt. Victor had also decided to join us.

Of course they'd want to do it, I suppose hunting beat sitting around and watching me organize herbs for the one hundredth time today. But still, I had experience hunting; and any excuse to stretch my legs was a good enough reason to move, in my opinion.

"Have you ever been hunting before?" I was curious as I watched their happy faces.

Neither one of them seemed to be the hunting type, and their loud noises indicated that they weren't exactly stealthy in the woods. But then again, I suppose that I really didn't seem to be the hunting type either, so who was I to judge?

However, my personal experience was based more on necessity and survival. If I understood correctly, hunting for those who lived in the upper districts had been more for sport. So perhaps they had some background?

Otherwise, if they didn't have an interest, then why would Owen have sent them to go hunting with me?

"What do you think we'll find?" I asked nonchalantly as I tried to gauge the level of their experience. "Do you have something you want to hunt in particular?"

"I want to find a fucking bear!" Gabriel said excitedly.

I momentarily paused in my walking, and Gabriel glanced back at me curiously.

"No," I said slowly as I watched his face. Surely he wasn't being serious right now? "I really don't think that we should aspire to find a bear. The likelihood of us encountering a bear and surviving would be extremely low."