Part III • Chapter XII

Escape Plan

Sang

Sang

“It has been almost two days. This is a disaster.” Someone whispered from nearby as I began to come back into awareness, and I vaguely recognized Payton’s voice.

I remained still, feigning unconsciousness, as he continued. “Are you sure that she will be alright? If you’ve killed her, then he is going to have our heads. In the grand scale of things, I’d rather go back and face Blackbourne with her dead body than deal with him losing his mind.”

"I don't know about that," Roe responded. "Blackbourne is pretty scary, and smart. God only knows how he'd kill us."

Payton scoffed. "You just don't want to see North again."

"There's that too..."

I had just woken up and was stiff, sore, and still tired despite apparently sleeping for two days. Someone had untied me at some point, wrapped me in a cape, and had put me onto some kind of makeshift bed of leaves. I didn't dare move in fear of giving myself away.

I had to remain unnoticed, this was a must for my escape plan.

Efrain’s bored voice joined in the conversation. From the sounds of it, he was further away than both Payton and Roe. “Relax. She isn’t dead, I only used a pressure point to induce unconsciousness. If she hasn’t woken up yet then it’s because her body is in need of the extra rest. Will you just trust me?"

"Why should we trust you," Payton retorted, "it's your fault she's unconscious in the first place. Having a medical background doesn't mean that you can just take control of the situation whenever you feel like it. You should have asked me before doing anything."

I fought back a gasp as their words sunk in.

The scary one had a medical background? I had a feeling that he had known Victor; but if he also had a background in medicine, then didn't it mean that he might know Sean, as well? And it seemed like Roe knew North...

Why would they even kidnap me if they knew my boys? They had to know what they were capable of doing to them. My heart pounded as I took in what this could mean - being in the clutches of an enemy that knew about you was even worse than an ignorant one.