Part I • Chapter III

Sibling Affection

Sang

Sang

The early morning sunlight streamed in from the large bath towel that doubled as a curtain for my bedroom window.

I squinted at the light as I threw my arm up over my eyes. I was normally an early riser, but why did morning have to come so early today?

After I was finished talking to PI yesterday, I had spent the rest of the afternoon sweeping out my hideout, cleaning things and generally procrastinating before I had to head back home to make dinner.

We frequently ran out of money from our monthly allowance. It just never seemed to make it towards our bills for some reason. So eventually it became up to me to provide food for the family.

I once asked Maro to help out, but he just scoffed at me and headed out with his friend, Derrick, for the weekend. So I figured out early on that there was clearly going to be no help coming from him.

As I said, my mother is sick. So there really isn't much to do except clean, cook and stay out of her way.

Most of the time I find something, either from scrounging for food or hunting, prepare it into some kind of an edible meal and set the meal on her bedside table. After all, I would rather not be the cause of my mother's demise from starvation.

That was way number one to stay on her good graces, because if she got hungry I would be the first person she would target in anger.

Another way to become her victim was the worst, because it was something that is entirely unavoidable unless I stay in the house all day, every day. Something that wasn't going to happen.

There are occasions where she wakes up, lucid, and calls for me. If I happen not to be there...

Nevertheless, I noticed that her periods of lucidity have become shorter and farther apart. I wonder if whatever sickness she has was becoming worse. I would take her to the doctor, but she refuses to go with anyone other than Maro.