Part I • Chapter V

First Class Treatment

Sang

Sang

I was surrounded by luxury and I couldn't focus long enough to enjoy any of it. It was all I could do not to replay the earlier conversation in my head, to not dwell on the fact that the woman who sort of raised me sold me into this thing, to not think about my impending dea-

Get a grip, Sang.

I shook myself out of it. I needed to push my self-pity to the back-burner for now, and really start to focus on what was going on around me. Since no one was going to help me, I needed to find a way to help myself. Somehow...

I pulled my head up from my knees and studied the people around me.

I had been sitting on a large, cushioned covered chair by a window in the corner, and nobody had tried to talk to me yet. All of the other tributes from my district were in the car as well, and no one looked very happy to be here either.

Khloe was also hanging around somewhere as well. If not in this car, then another. So at least I wasn't the only girl around. That was mildly comforting.

Some guys even appeared to know each other, a few of the men were people I had seen from around town once or twice. It looked like that those who were strangers were also being quick to make acquaintances of each other.

For example, there was a red-headed man covered in freckles who was hanging around a taller man with curly black hair. They seemed to be in deep discussion about something as they stood around the buffet table.

Derrick was sitting across the car, looking out of the windows on the other side. His back was to the rest of the group and he was the only person besides me not talking to anyone.

There were two other men who looked about my age going through the bar, neither one of them paying any attention to me. I noticed that one was incredibly good looking, though not my type, and the other was had a scary scar on his face and was bald.

A gathering of other guys who appeared to be a few years older were sitting around a large rectangular table in the middle of the room.

Good. It looked like I was going to be left alone for the time being.