Part II • Chapter II

True North

Sang

Sang

My eyes flew open and I gasped for breath, noticing that North had done the same. My hands were clenched in fists against something solid and warm, North's chest.

I slowly raised my eyes to meet his questioning gaze as I continued to even out my breathing.

What in the world happened? Even more (or maybe not so) importantly, when did he get into bed with me? I didn't remember that at all.

"Nor-" North put a finger to my lip as he stopped me from saying his name. The room was dark, the only light coming from the moonlight through the windows.

His eyes darted to the side, and I followed his gaze towards the other bunks around us. I nodded, showing him that I understood. We didn't want to wake the others.

At my nod he removed his fingers from my mouth and glanced around again, as if to make sure the others were still unaware.

He shifted his weight until he hovered over me and lowered his mouth to my ear. "Get your robe and slippers and follow me."

North left to walk down to his bunk, where he probably left his own robe and slippers, while I shuffled to the foot of my bed to grab the robe that Adam had included in my wardrobe. I found myself wearing it more often than not in the evenings because most of the clothing that Adam had chosen for me, while modest, were light and airy. The nights weren't exactly the warmest.

As I finished tying my robe North returned, clothed in loose-fitting shirt and slippers, and grabbed my hand. We tiptoed to the door, North opened it silently and ushered me out before closing it behind us.

He put his arm over my shoulders, pulling me into him, and led me towards the elevator.

Where was he taking me? I thought we had to stay in our corridor? I opened my mouth to say something, but he put a finger to my lips and gently pushed me into the elevator once the doors opened.

North pushed the button for the roof and the doors shut, closing us inside.

"Where are we going?" I figured it was alright to talk now, since we were no longer standing anywhere we could accidentally wake anyone else up.