Chapter 1

~September 2007~

It was a beautiful Sunday morning. My stepfather Robin Twist is the pastor of our small community church in Savannah Georgia where I was born and raised. I was your not so typical 16 year old boy, I was more interested in bible study then late night parties. More interested in helping out at the homeless shelter then laying some rando that wouldn't remember my name the next day.

I'm popular don't get me wrong, I'm a good football player and not bad looking I guess. I mean I catch female attention quite frequently but I don't really acknowledge it. Not that I feel like I'm too good for them or anything, I just have morals and beliefs that are very special to me.

A cough could be heard as I snap out of my thoughts, I had been given the task of bringing the new Sunday school teacher the children's bibles we kept in the back of the church. My eyes glance around the room, trying to locate the coughing offender.

Then I saw her.

My God she was beautiful, her warm brown hair tied into pigtails

My God she was beautiful, her warm brown hair tied into pigtails. Her amber eyes rimmed with the deepest ocean blue. The lack of makeup other then a coat of chapstick and mascara and she still took my breath away.

"Hi." She said softly while gazing into my eyes. I'm positive my focus on her threw her off as she looked down and bit her lip innocently.

"Hello, I'm Harry." I respond to her as I smile warmly.

"My uh- my mom is the new Sunday teacher. I'm Carolina" The beauty with earth colored eyes I now know as Carolina replies. Her name sends a wave of chills over my skin, it's the most beautiful name I have ever heard.

"It's nice to meet you Carolina, Pastor Twist is my stepfather. He sent me down to bring your mother the children's bibles."

"You can just place them on the desk Harry, she'll be back in a few moment." Carolina said smiling. I knew I didn't want to leave this room without her, I had to get to know her more.

"Would you erm like a tour of the grounds?" I ask sheepishly running a hand through my thick chocolate curls.

"I would like that, thank you." She said as she stood up from her chair.

Mass wasn't for another hour so I knew we has plenty of time. I led her off into the beautiful gardens that my mother and sister slave over weekly. We strolled quietly side by side at first until we happened upon a particular plant.

"I've never seen flowers like this before." Carolina said as her eyes lit up.

"They are called the Cherokee Rose, it's our state flower. You've seriously never seen them before?" I ask curiously.

"We just moved here from Arizona, there aren't many flowers that can live in the desert. Just mainly cactus blossoms." She replies before letting out a soft giggle that makes me break out into a wide grin. I knelt down and plucked a single perfect flower before standing up and facing her.

"May I?" I ask sheepishly, Carolina pulls her bottom lip between her teeth and nods softly. After letting out a nervous breath I bring my hand up to her face and tuck the blossom softly into her hair.

"Perfect."

*****

~January 2011~

"Sir? Mr. Styles?"

I was numb, I held my entire life in my hands.

And it was cold and stiff.

"Sir please, we need to remove the body."

"She has a name God dammit." I snap at the nurse trying to pry me away from my Carolina. Her skin once a beautiful rosy pink now a grey blue. Her hands that once cling to me, her fingers that just hours ago were running through my hair now ice cold.

"I know sir but she's gone, please let us do our jobs." The nurse said softly and I gave up. I pulled my hands from her body, held them up and stepped backwards as I watched them wheel her away.

"Mr. Styles?" A nurse asks quietly as she tries to comfort a crying pink bundle. "What about-"

"I can't." I cut her off and storm out the the room, never once looking back.