Chapter 89

Augeust 2017~
Harry's POV~

Later that week~

The last week has gone by so slowly, I felt like I was in college again with all these classes.

Speaking of college...

Gen called my college and found that I only needed a few more credits for my BS in physical therapy which would be useful for a football coach so I went ahead, enrolled online and started taking a few classes to complete it.

Everything is changing.

I'm clean, I have a degree, I have a job and most importantly.

I have her.

Gen has been so swamped with her paper work and running me around we haven't gotten a lot of time together aside from sleeping.. Honestly any time I spend with her is worth it though.

"Baby you almost ready? My family will be here in 10." I ask gen as I adjust the necktie hanging loosely under my shirt.

"Yea I'm done." Gen says as she comes out of the bathroom her hair is down in loose curls and she barely has any makeup on. She's wearing a bubblegum pink bodycon dress that hits her mid-thigh and hugs every curve sinfully well along with sky high black sandals that make her legs look even longer.

"Holy fuck." I groan, feeling my black suit pants grow tight. "Are you trying to give my mom a heart attack Gen?" 

"No, just showing that I'm not going anywhere." She replies before pecking my lips. "Plus i'm not your therapist anymore." She adds with a grin. "Which means I can do this now..." Gen whispers as she pulls a box from her packed luggage and hands it to me.

My eyes widen as I unwrap it, it was an all black iphone. "Gen you didn't have to.." I warn.

"I wanted to, the passcode is 053017." She whispers.

"The day we kissed?" Gen answers with a nod as I unlock the phone. The background is a photo of Gen and I she had taken in mexico, she was looking at the phone smiling while I kissed her cheek. "Thank you baby." I say softly sliding it in my pocket and kissing her gently.

"My number is already in there." Gen smiles.

"Dr. Horan, Mr. Styles' family has arrived."  The new receptionist Alexa alerts us.

"Thank you Alexa." Gen says then looks at me. "I'm so excited NOT to ever be called that name again." She sighed. She and Niall had filed for an expedited divorce since they haven't been together for 6 years. It will be made final in three weeks.

"Wait, I got you something too Gen." I whisper as I pull a box from my pocket. "Gemma helped me since you're always with me." I wink at her before popping the box open, Gen's eyes grow wide as she examines it. It was a necklace with a blue diamond pendant to match her ring but what meant the most was not meant to be seen except for her.

On the clasp of the necklace was a small bird charm. "Is this a-"

"A Kiwi." I interrupt her smirking. "Turn around." I whisper. She does as told while I move her hair out of the way and fasten the necklace on her before placing a chaste kiss to her neck.

"I love it Harry." She whispers as she touches it against her chest.

"I know baby, now lets go give some heart attacks huh?" I ask giving her a wink, she smiles and nods before we start for the door grabbing my guitar case on the way out.

"You gonna play something?" She asks.

"Thinking about it, I wrote a song for Gemma."

"That's amazing Harry."

There was a beautiful white tent set up in the garden, the heavenly aroma of roses lofted through the air. My family was already seated with Director Ora as Gen and I walk in. She drops my hand and takes a step to the side as not to upset my mother.

It's ok, baby steps.

After resting the case against a side table I pull out the seat next to Director Ora for Gen and then sit between her and Gemma.

"Dr. Horan we weren't expecting you, especially in such inappropriate attire." My mother states coldly, Gen bites her lip not wanting to clapback at her.

"Mom-"

"Actually Mrs. Twist, Gen is no longer employed here and was invited here by myself to celebrate her final patient's sobriety with us. And I personally think she looks quite stunning." Celine replies to my mom shortly. "Something you may not know about Gen is she was a very accomplished model, posing in Sports Illustrated and GQ to put herself through school." She adds as Gen smiles at my mom sweetly.

"Why did you stop? You'd make more money with your body then your mind it seems." My mother retorts and Gen takes a deep breath.

"Because my husband asked me to." Gen answered simply and my mom's eyes widen.

"So you're married?" Mom asks cocking her brow.

"Not anymore."

"Ah so young and divorced already? Tsk tsk." My mother scolds.

"Seriously mother? Her husband is dead for fucks sake." Gemma snaps.

"Well actually that's not true, he surprised me the other day. He's been alive this entire time, the military never found his body and just assumed he was killed in the explosion but he's very much alive. We filed for an expedited divorce since we haven't been together for 6 years." Gen explains calmly as I place my hand on her thigh.

"You don't need to explain yourself to them or anyone." I whisper.

"It's fine Harry." she gives me an assuring smile.

"Mom you need to apologize to her." Gemma insists.

"When Dr. Horan is a mother herself I'm sure she'd understand." My mother says dismissing Gemma.

"I am." Gen says quietly.

"Excuse me dear? I can't hear when you mumble." My mom sneers and something in Gen snaps as she narrows her eyes at her.

"I'm a mother and no I do not understand where you're coming from." Gen replies coldly.

"Maybe you will in time, you can't always be a good parent the first time around." Mom quips.

"Mother!" Gemma and I both shout.

"Jesus what do you have against me Anne? It's like you have a preconceived notion of who I am when in fact you no nothing about me." Gen explodes.

"I see the way you look at my son, the way you dress not to mention what your co-worker has told me." My mother seethes.

What the fuck?