Chapter 85

August 2017~
Gen's POV~

Everything was going so well. We only had a week left of Harry's treatment, he had a job lined up as well as a place to live and a car. I had turned into more of a companion and driver versus therapist now.

He was so much better.

We spent every day we had together shopping pretty much, furnishing his apartment, stocking his wardrobe... He kept trying to buy me things but I've only allowed it a few times. I had my own money and I don't want Harry for his. 

His mom seemed annoyed that I was still treating him, Director Ora had called her and told her that there was nothing inappropriate going on between Harry and I. 

I have been stern in the sexual activity though, we haven't done anything other then kiss and the occasional massage since Mexico.

The other day Ed invited us over for a bbq, his wife Cherry and I are good friends plus Harry and Ed seem to of bonded over the last few months. What I didn't expect was how good Harry was with Ed's two little ones.

I mean I know he likes kids and wants them but the man is unbelievable. The way they climbed all over him and the smile on his face when he talked to them.....

I fell even harder.

Seeing him like that gave me a glimpse into what he'll be like with Ever and it was truly heartwarming. She could finally have a father figure, one that loved her even though they share no biological bond. 

One that chooses to be here.

Ever is a smart girl, we had to tell her that her daddy died when she was about three. She talks to him here and there but she never knew him.

She never knew he denied her.

Anyways, it's been nice not to have to hide our affection when out if not in a professional setting. As we house hunted and shopped I was his girlfriend, not his therapist. 

It was really nice.

**

It's now Sunday, I'm due back on campus tomorrow morning. I'll be working the entire week as Saturday is Harry and I's last day. I'm nervous for what comes next, my new job starts next Monday as does Harry's. I'm worried that we won't have time for each other but he assures me we will make it work.

Ever is so excited to have me home every night but my mom....

She's been different lately.

"Mom?" I knock on her door.

"Come in." Opening the door I see my mom sitting at her vanity. She's always so beautiful and put together. She was only 18 when she had me but still looks very young for 44. At first glance you would say we look nothing alike but my bone structure is very similar to hers, we have the same lips and are both tall but curvy. Where I had freckles, red hair and blue eyes she has beautifully clear medium tan skin, brown hair and green eyes. Most people think Ever is hers rather then mine.

"Are you ok mom? You've been acting weird." I ask timidly.

"I'm just worried about you sweetie." She responds.

"What are you talking about?"

"This guy Imogen, you're changing, You're just so optimistic and happy all the time. Ever notices it too." She explains.

"So I'm not supposed to be happy?" I snap.

"You know I want nothing more then your happiness but what happens when it all falls apart?" Mom questions. "You're involved with a recovering addict who is also your patient, if you close your eyes to those issues then what other issues you'll be blind to."

"Mom my eyes have never been more wide open, when you meet him you'll see how utterly genuine he is." I assure her.

"We'll see." She responds quietly. "I'm tired Imogen and Ever has class early tomorrow." She adds as she turns away from me.

Walking back to my room my mind was going a million miles an hour.

What if she's right?

My phone begins to ring as I enter my room. "Hello?"

"Hey baby, I miss you." Harry coos.

"Me too."

"What wrong Gen?" He asks with his voice full of concern.

"Just had a not so good talk with my mom that's all."

"About what?" Harry questions.

"I don't want to talk about it, I'll see you tomorrow ok Harry?"

"Oh, sure. See you tomorrow." Harry says and I take a deep breath. "Baby whatever it is, it will be ok." He assures me which was exactly what I needed to hear.

"I know it will. I'll see you tomorrow babe." I whisper before hanging up and crawling into bed.

Ever shifts as I wrap my arms around her, she always wants to sleep with me when I'm home. It's like her way of spending time with me even when asleep.

Harry's assurance runs through my head over and over again as I drift off to sleep.

The next day Mom and Ever were already gone by the time I left so I packed my bags for the 5 night stay on campus before loading the car and making my way over. After pulling into the parking lot I grab my bags and head off to my room. 

Upon clicking on my lights and shutting the door, a familiar brunette man stood by the window with his back to me. He turns towards me and smiles.

"Hello Imogen."