Chapter 1

Kalika ran to a house in the distance. If she didn't hurry, she would be late. As she ran, she picked up the corners of her dress, afraid that she would trip if she didn't. Kalika ran as fast as possible to the door. She made it just in time.

"Good to see you here, on time." A man at the door said.

"Sorry I couldn't be earlier Ajax." She said as she walked into their home. "I had to feed the animals this morning. Mom wasn't well."

"Ah, that's fine." He smiled and closed the door.

Kalika set a basket on a table near the door, where she would normally put the basket, but as she set it down. Ajax took it away.

"No need for this anymore, you will be serving Jayce. As you had asked for." He said as he pointed outside.

Kalika smiled and ran off towards the outdoors.

~*~

"So you are the one they call Kalika," Jayce said as he tossed a stick around in his hands.

Kalika nodded and started to set out his lunch, as he had requested. She set out some fruits and vegetables, along with bread and fish. They were all on a table that had been set outside for them.

"You know that you can talk to me if you want right? Unlike with my family." He said as he sat down at the table.

Kalika left the table, to sit on a step, watching as Jayce ate. She knew that Jayce had said she could talk, but she wasn't used to talking with her master right away, unless they told her to. Normally she wouldn't talk, slowly she'd progress and start to talk just a little, things like: Where would you like this? or Is this good enough? After that, she would ask a bit more, sometimes the masters would talk with her too. After awhile they would talk more and get along well enough. Just like she and Ajax did.

She looked down at her feet, they were getting dirty, but she wouldn't mind. Kalika looked around, she saw the Acropolis, now very new. She saw the willows swaying around Jayce's garden, she sighed and started to think about Poseidon and Athena. Just as she looked up, she saw an owl, a small one, but something about it was intriguing. Kalika couldn't help but get up to get a closer look. She was drawn towards the beautiful bird, it didn't fly away, it wouldn't fly away. Perhaps it was looking for a home, maybe it was there for them, or maybe it belonged to Jayce and his family.

As she stared at the owl, a hand rested on her shoulder. She turned around to see Jayce smiling at her. Jayce set his hand down and looked at the owl, he stared at its fine white feathers, and the big, curious eyes. He stepped closer and touched its wing, it didn't move, or try to bite him. Instead, it got closer, something about it was different. 

Jayce turned away from it and passed Kalika, he sat at his table and started to toss the stick again. His plate was empty, nothing around anymore, Kalika got to work and put everything away for him.

"Thank you, Kalika," Jayce said as she came back to him.

That was a first, many times, the people she served wouldn't even think about say their pleases and thank yous. She smiled at him and nodded.

"You're welcome." She replied, her voice small but flawless.

Jayce stared at her, for the first time, he truly saw the beauty in her. She had her hair simply braided down her back, wearing a small gold leaf tucked in her hair. She wore a short, knee-length chiton, tied around her waist was a golden thread, her chiton wasn't pinned on one shoulder, it fell to the side of her arm. She wore brown, worn-out sandals, each of which fit her just fine.

"What would you like to do now," Kalika paused. "master."

"Aw, don't call me that, just call me Jayce." He smiled and got up. "How does a stroll sound like to you?"

"Whatever you like." She followed him out of the house.

They headed to the outskirts of the city, Kalika walked behind Jayce, feeling that she needed to step away. She kept her head down, people looked at her and at Jayce. Kalika felt that many of the young kids wouldn't stop staring at the two. Maybe because not many girls would serve a boy their age, or even the other way around. 

"Hey, how do you feel about going to that forest?" Jayce pointed to one nearby.

"I have to follow you," She said quietly. "your choice."

Jayce looked at her, he loved her voice, her attitude towards work, and how she would follow whomever she would work with. The only thing that he didn't like was that he couldn't get to know her, she only said that she would go because she had to, he wanted to know what she really wanted.

He shrugged and walked towards the trees, he went into the forest, Kalika following. Jayce stopped Kalika in her tracks, he heard a holler from the outside of the city. He whispered to Kalika, telling her they needed to go, she nodded and got out of the forest, behind Jayce. They ran to the grassy clearing, looking towards the outside of the city. 

Jayce stared at the crowd of people there, the Spartans. There were many there, some on horses, others on chariots, and some on foot. All were dressed in armor, all staring at the two young kids in front of them. 

Kalika turned to Jayce, they made a silent agreement. Run.

---------------------

So I hope you enjoyed this first chapter! I am doing this for the People's Choice Contest by HistoricalFiction I need to have 6000 words, at least, for this, so I'm taking a break from my other stories.

Tell me what you think will happen next, and what you want to happen next!

Please: Comment, Follow, Vote, Share & Add!