Chapter 6

Jayce walked up the steps, he and Ophion had been called to Nilo's side. His first time to see what had become of Kalika. If she was still there.

He entered to see Nilo, but no Kalika. The guards seemed to be standing all in a certain place, or at least ready to go somewhere when needed. Jayce stood beside Ophion, in front of Nilo. Both boys bowed to Nilo, got up and looked into his dark eyes.

"You." Nilo pointed to Jayce. "Turn around."

Jayce turned to see Kalika sprawled on the floor, scars on her arms and legs, tired eyes. Their plan had definitely worked, but the outcome was brutal. Jayce wanted to step forward, to help her, but he knew if he did, he would be in danger too.

"So, I get it." Nilo watched Jayce turn. "You don't like me," Nilo got up and walked towards Jayce. "She doesn't either." He stepped beside Jayce. "You like her as well don't you?"

Jayce's heart thumped in his chest. He didn't turn his face to Nilo's, but he was right beside his. Practically whispering in his ear. He thought about his response, he wanted to do what Kalika had, but he didn't know exactly what to do. 

Nilo narrowed his beady eyes. "You do!" He frowned, but quickly, his lips formed a line. "Alright then."

Jayce was surprised, he turned his head to Nilo. Looking into his emerald green eyes. Nilo set his hand on Jayce's shoulder, he made it seem as though it was a friendly gesture, yet, that wasn't the case at all. 

He pushed Jayce to the ground next to Kalika. Jayce now on his side, on the cold ground. He turned to Kalika, she sat up to face Jayce, he sat up too. Jayce looked at Kalika, she was a mess, messier now. 

"You dare!" Nilo burst into a rage. "Ophion! Take these two!"

Ophion sighed, he ran down the steps to the two, grabbing their arms and taking them outside. He knew that Nilo wanted to get rid of them, but he also knew that Nilo only meant to send them away for awhile while he recollected himself.

Ophion sat the two on a stone bench, he stared at Kalika's scars, then at Jayce's hidden bruise. Ophion sighed and looked at the two, he knew why Jayce liked Kalika, he himself thought that she was a great person. She had the looks, she had the smarts, the confidence, everything.

"Look, guys," He looked into their sad eyes. "you aren't gonna have a great time."

"We figured that out," Jayce said looking up at Ophion.

"Well, let me just tell you." He looked back at the temple, then to them. "I'm Athenian too."

Kalika stared at Ophion. She knew what Athenians were like, but he was different, but she couldn't figure it out. She looked at him more, thought and finally came up with an answer.

"You're a slave too aren't you?" She asked him.

"Yeah." He rubbed his arm. "I was thinking exactly what you said when I first came here."

Kalika recalled what she had said. I'm no Spartan, I am for the Athenians. The words she had dared to say. She sighed and looked into Ophion's amber eyes, the look in his eyes told her that he was truly one she could accept. There had always been a look that she would find in people she could trust and who were like her. 

"Let me tell you something though." He leaned in closer. "You've got a betrayer in Athens."

Jayce looked at him surprised. "What do you mean?"

"Someone who claims he is Athenian, he really works for the Spartans. Why do you think they knew to go to the forest? Or how they knew how to take you and Kalika from that exacts spot?" He replied.

"I know something was wrong," Kalika said to herself.

Jayce wondered what she meant. So far, he hadn't found out much about her, she was confident, and wasn't just a pretty girl. Now he wanted to know even more because sometimes, she would be mysterious. He remembered listening to her better plans and opinions, they really were better. Jayce decided now was a good time to apologize. 

"Sorry Kalika," he paused and took a breath. "I should've known you would've gotten into that much trouble."

She smiled and turned to him. "It's fine Jayce." She put her hand on his. "I've had worse." She pulled her hand back.

Ophion and Jayce shared a look. Worse? They both thought. Jayce looked back to Kalika. What could be worse than what just happened? He wondered. He let it off, ready to ask her later.

Ophion sat beside Jayce and looked at the two. He had known all of the dirty secrets of the Spartans, that's when always standing by Nilo's side comes in handy. He just wished that he could've found out more than he already knows.

"Guys, you won't be let off easy, but I know Nilo well, he doesn't want to get rid of you," Ophion told the two.

They nodded and looked at Ophion. Both had hard expressions on their faces, Kalika's of determination, and Jayce's of focus. They looked ready to try their best, no matter what.

"Kalika, you probably are stuck working around the house now, dusting, laundry." He looked at her to see what she thought.

"I'll be fine with it, I do it all the time." She replied confidently.

Ophion smiled. "As for you Jayce," he turned to him. "you might be stuck with her or me, either way at least 2 of us will work together."

Jayce smiled, he was hoping to work with Kalika, but he knew he had better chances with Ophion. 

"Ophion?" Kalika asked.

"Yeah?" He turned to her, looking into her grey eyes. 

"I was wondering since we have all decided we can work together..." She rubbed her hand. "Can we all be friends?"

"Of course." Ophion had a big smile on his face.

They all exchanged looks, all smiling at their new friendship, all they wanted to do was figure out what was going on, and to be able to save Athens. They all thought the same thing: For Athens.

---------------------

I hope you enjoyed! Finally reached 6000 words! Woohoo! I am having a hard time balancing all my stories, and I had taken a break from a lot of them, so now I have to go back and do them, sorry if I don't update this as much, I just did cos the contest ends not too long from now.

Please tell me what I can work on, or if I have any errors in there.

Please: Comment, Follow, Vote, Share & Add!

You know what happens when you do one of the 5 above!

See you in the next chapter!