Chapter 25

"Nikolos, can I talk with you?" Echo asked as she stepped towards him.

"Of course," Nikolos stepped aside, away from the others who were sleeping.

"I don't think I can tell Kalika." Echo said as she looked down at the ground.

"Oh, nervous?" Nikolos asked as he looked into her eyes.

"Yeah, and I feel like I don't want to surprise her too much, she's already been on a crazy ride for so long." Echo said.

Echo explained what she felt, and why she couldn't bring herself to let Kalika know the news, and soon, the two came to an agreement. She was 20 and decided that she was able to make her own decision, soon she'd just have to tell her dad, and their agreement would be settled.

~*~

Kalika closed her eyes, tears forming underneath her eyelids. She had been awake the whole time that Nikolos and Echo were talking, and she could hear everything they were saying. She wished that she hadn't heard a word they had said, and she really wished that she was asleep now.

She heard the soft thunk of two pairs of feet walking away to their blankets for sleep. Kalika felt a tear falling down her cheek, soon dropping to the ground.

"Hey." Kalika heard a voice say. 

She opened her eyes to see Marcus looking at her with concerned eyes. Kalika turned around and looked away from him, she was never one who liked to cry in front of people, Marcus knew that.

"Something wrong?" He asked as he sat up and placed a hand on Kalika's shoulder.

"No." Kalika's voice small.

Marcus knew when something was wrong because he never saw Kalika unhappy, he never saw her angry, she would only play with him and his brothers, he only saw the happiness in her, until now.

"Come on Kalika." He said as he turned her over.

"It's nothing Marcus." She said as she brushed her hair away.

Marcus stood up and walked away instead of responding. Kalika knew why he would do it, but at the same time, she never understood his reasons. She got up and followed him silently, she saw that he approached a river, and sat on a log.

Kalika followed him and sat beside him staring at the river. She watched his expression, it changed from nothing to surprised. She followed his gaze to see two people on the other side of the river.

Marcus watched as she stood up and looked at the men, he stood up and took her hand. "Are you okay?"

Kalika shook her head and turned around, she felt Marcus's hand drop from hers, she put her hands up to her face and breathed into her hands. Soon, she felt two more hands touch hers and pull them down.

"What's wrong?" Marcus asked.

Kalika looked into Marcus's eyes. She couldn't tell him, she didn't want to, but she already knew that he saw them. She decided she would explain later.

"No time to explain, we're going, now!" She pulled his hand towards the others.

Kalika walked towards Echo and Ophion. "Guys, they're back." She said as she shook them awake. "Marcus, wake up your brothers."

"Wha?" Echo sat up and rubbed her eyes.

"We gotta leave," Kalika said. "Gergor, Nilo."

Echo instantly woke up, Ophion rose up too after listening. They got up and started to wake everyone else up.

"Why do we have to wake up?" Darius asked as he walked towards Kalika.

"The people who are trying to get us are here." Kalika finally explained. "Looks like we're gonna make it to Athens sooner than we thought."

They all got ready, on their horses, hitching up to their wagons, and soon they were gone. It was now early morning, and they were all tired. 

Kalika held onto her rein tight, trying to stay awake, soon Marcus and Lucas came up to her and rode beside her. They watched as she led them closer to Athens, closer to home. Lucas watched Marcus and Kalika, he knew something that both of them didn't know, only him, Cyrus and Darius knew.

Soon, when they returned home, he and his family had to break the news to both of them, but he didn't know if he could. 

Cyrus and Darius came up beside him and soon they started to talk, Kalika turned her head to see the brothers having fun, while on the other hand, she was just trying to do her job, and trying not to get in trouble.

She knew that when she got home, she would be in danger of getting in trouble with her family and a lot of others. She worried that she'd be in trouble and that whatever she did could cost her a lot.

"Hey, it'll be alright," Marcus said as he put a reassuring hand on hers.

Marcus knew all about the dreads that Kalika would face, she had a great family, but her parents were always really strict. Her siblings were always so supportive, just like his own family, but the biggest difference was their parents. Marcus's parents were always supportive, always there, unlike Kalika's.

They rode on for hours and soon, found themselves halfway there.

"Should we rest now?" Lucas asked Kalika.

"No, if anything, Gergor and Nilo have followed us here." She replied as she kept going.

Kalika looked behind her, to see everyone tired, some sleeping in the wagon, and some just riding, trying to keep going. She felt bad, she wanted to let them sleep, but it was either rest and get captured or keep going and be safe.

"Alright, if anyone wants to sleep, go ahead, I'll lead your horses back to Athens, just get in a wagon." Kalika finally came up with that compramise, but it wasn't the best.

Nick and Nikolos joined Fillia and Renee in the back. Kalika slowed down and grabbed the reins of their horse, flipped it over their heads and pulled them along.

Now all Kalika had to do, was not fall asleep like the others.

---------------------

I hope you enjoyed! I wasn't here for about 3 days so I was delayed.

Please support my work, tell me how I'm doing, and what I can do to make it better!

Please: Comment, Follow, Vote, Share & Add!