Chapter 5

Jayce looked around the medium sized work room. Beside him, Ophion turned to an empty table. He pulled Jayce towards it, sitting him in the chair. 

"You, get to do some paperwork." Ophion gave Jayce a feather pen.

Jayce stared at the papers in front of him. All he saw was hard work, work for a servant. Realizing now that he had to do it himself. He sighed, bent over his work and started writing, dipping the pen in ink every so often.

~*~

Meanwhile....

Kalika stood at Nilo's side, she hated her job. Mainly feeding him grapes, reading, singing, or playing instruments for him. Sometimes, she got stuck with being an image for him to admire. Usually, she loved doing that, but at this moment, she hated it.

He waved her over and handed her something. She took it, looking at the gold jewellery, a box of bracelets, hair pins, necklaces, rings, earrings and other things that she had no clue what they were.

"Go, put some of these on." Nilo waved her off to her room.

She went on to the room, putting some of the jewellery on herself. Soon, she came out looking like a rich, non-servant girl. Beautiful, and different, too different.

On her head, a gold leaf chain headpiece. She had undone her hair, leaving it down, but combed. One chain on her hair parting, the rest going off her forehead and disappearing into her mess of hair. She wore a snake necklace on her wrist, it reminded her of the stories about Medusa. She wore a necklace, small but it was there. Gold chain, and a flat disk in the middle, in the middle of the disk, was a mauveine coloured marble.

She walked towards Nilo, she hated the feeling of the jewellery, but she would have to put up with it, it was either that or a beating. She sat on a chair beside Nilo, he stared at Kalika, a total transformation.

"Perhaps," He smiled. "you should be ruler with me"

~*~

Kalika paced the room, Jayce watched as she picked up speed. She would stop often and murmur to herself. Jayce wanted as much as he could to help her, but she wouldn't tell him the problem.

Kalika finally stopped pacing and sat down on her bed. She no longer had her jewellery, all in the box under the bed. She had hidden it from Jayce, so he wouldn't know. She looked down at her clothes, simple dress to sleep in. 

She used one hand and rubbed the side of her forehead. She looked at Jayce, staring at her in wonder, probably thinking of random scenarios on why she was acting as such. Finally, she couldn't take the heat.

"Okay, I need to tell you something!" She stated, taking a deep breath in.

"Alright, what is it?" Jayce leaned forward from where he sat.

"I- I-." She stuttered. "I might get married..."

Jayce's heart dropped, he hid his emotion with a blank, stunned expression. He had wanted her for his own, but now that was impossible. He wanted to know who and why.

"Who?" He asked, taking a breath in.

"Nilo." A pained expression on her face.

"Why!" Jayce said it more of an explanation rather than a question.

Kalika rolled her head and closed her eyes. "He's making me." She opened her eyes.

Kalika lay on the bed, looking at the ceiling. She turned to the wall, she told Jayce good night. She closed her eyes, drifting into a deep sleep.

Jayce on the other hand, lay in the bed, restless. Thinking about what Kalika had just told him, and to think that she would even let that happen. After many thoughts, many things he thought about, he fell asleep. The worrying tired him out after his long day of work.

~*~

Jayce bolted upright, he woke up in a cold sweat, he looked out the window, the sun was just rising. He rubbed his eyes, he looked over to Kalika's bed, she was there, she had turned to face the window. Jayce wiped his head, trying to not look scared or anything of the sort. 

"Morning Kalika." He said getting up. "How do you do?"

"I'm great, you?" She replied.

Jayce had expected her to say something like she didn't like what was going on, maybe she had a plan. Or maybe she was just acting for her "master". 

"I'm fine." He walked towards the curtain, his tunic in one hand, ready to change.

"Sure, whatever you wanna believe," Kalika said as she started to braid her long hair.

"What's that suppose to mean?" Jayce said from the other side of the curtain. 

Kalika didn't respond for awhile. "You were dreaming Jayce."

Jayce came out from the curtain. Looking at Kalika, he sat on the bed. "You heard me?"

"No, but you were thrashing around." She said putting a bracelet on.

Jayce didn't respond, he looked at the beautiful bracelet. Gold with a rectangular emerald in the middle. The engravings were detailed, everything done to perfection. Jayce held out his hand, Kalika showed him the bracelet. Using her other hand to pick out a wreath for her hair.

She pulled her hand away and put the gold wreath into her braided hair. She found the same necklace she had yesterday and put it on too, Jayce saw all the jewellery, especially the necklace. Simple and beautiful.

"Where'd you get all this stuff?" He asked her.

"Oh," she had a sad look on her face. "Nilo." She said the name bitterly.

Jayce turned his head to her, he thought of a few things, plans. He had many in mind. There was one that stood out, one that they had to do quickly. Just as he was about to announce his idea, breakfast came. Ophion was at the door with a tray of food for them to share. 

Jayce got up and took the tray, he brought it in and gave some food to Kalika, some for himself. While they ate, he told her about his plan.

~*~

Kalika walked out of the room towards Nilo. She felt everyone's eyes on her, afraid that the plan wouldn't work, or wouldn't go as wanted. Maybe half right.

She stepped into Nilo's room. He looked up to see what was suppose to be a beautiful girl. He stared wide-eyed.

"Kalika!" He screeched in rage.

That's when Kalika knew she was in trouble.

---------------------

I hope you enjoyed! I'm getting close to 6000 words!!! Just 777 more to go! 

Please tell me what I can work on so that I can make this the best book I've ever created!

Please: Comment, Follow, Vote, Share & Add!*

Until next time!

  *If you do one of those things, you have an opportunity to have a book shout out, or profile shout out. I'll pm you when I see the notification, and please don't tell me, I'll know.