Chapter 3

Jayce had a gag in his mouth, his arms tied with rope

Jayce had a gag in his mouth, his arms tied with rope. He was now sitting in the back of a wagon, that was being pulled by a horse. He struggled against his bonds, finally realizing that there was no way out of being captured. 

Beside him sat Kalika, her bonds seemed to be hurting her small, delicate hands. He wished he could help her, but nothing he could do. She watched as she struggled against her gag and rope. He sighed and leaned back, feeling useless and helpless.

He saw a glint of light, it shone in his eyes, blinding him for a second. He looked at Kalika, somehow, she had reached into a pocket she had, inside was some sort of knife she apparently carried around. She scooted to Jayce and cut through his tight bonds, it took awhile, but it worked. She set the knife-like rock on the ground and set her hands out for Jayce to tug free.

They took out their gags, setting them on the ground. Just as they were about to move to the door, the wagon came to an abrupt halt, they lurched forward, knocking into each other. They heard footsteps, they watched as the metal door creaked open.

~*~

Kalika hit the cold stone floor, landing on her knees, hands behind her back. She had a hard look on her face, her eyes stormier than ever, her braid messier. She bent over a bit, one shoulder higher than the other. She looked up to see a man dressed in expensive Greek clothes, probably the leader of the Spartan attack.

He walked down from the chair he had been sitting on, walking towards Kalika, he put his hand on her chin, lifting it up to examine her. The man smiled suspiciously, he put his hand on her cheek.

"You'll do well as a Spartan slave." He smirked.

"I am not a Spartan." She sneered.

The man waved his hand in front of her face, he didn't care what she thought, not the best choice. She opened her mouth, and shut it quickly, she didn't bite his hand, but was inches away from his hand. He pulled his hand back rapidly, shocked but amused.

"I'm no Spartan." She boldly put her head up. "I am for the Athenians."

The man narrowed his eyes, he stood straighter and looked to his right. "Ophion, untie the girl, bring her to a room, let her sleep. You know what she's for."

"Yes, Nilo." The boy near the side rushed to her side and pulled her up by arm.

He tugged her to another room, every time Ophion tried to get close to her, she would threaten to bite him, or something of the sort. He then put his hands up in surrender and lead her to a small white room.

It was dirty, not very beautiful, but it was what she got. The walls dirty white, yet the room dull and boring. Kalika saw two beds in the small room, she watched as Ophion untied the bonds behind her. He pushed her into the room, not harshly, but still hard.

"Your room, this is all you get Miss." He started to walk out the door when he turned around. "Don't try to escape or anything, it doesn't end well." He lifted up a sleeve to reveal a scar, he turned and shut the door, running off back to the Nilo.

Kalika sighed and walked towards the bed, she chose the one closest to the window, she sat there, her head in her hands. A tear falling down her cheek, she put her elbows on her knees and cried into her hands.

A knock on the door came, it opened. Kalika looked up, eyes red from crying, hair sticking to her face. She saw Jayce at the door, staring wide-eyed at the messy girl in front of him. He sighed and got pushed into the room by Ophion behind him.

Ophion closed the door and left, leaving Kalika and Jayce alone in the bare room. Jayce rubbed the back of his blonde head. He watched as Kalika unravelled her braid, her golden brown hair now wavy.

Jayce had seen what she had done in front of Nilo, he knew from his studies that he is one known well among the Spartans, but for what, he didn't know, none of the Athenians did after all. Jayce had heard Kalika's words, they rang in his head, repeating over and over. I'm no Spartan, I am for the Athenians.  I'm no Spartan, I am for the Athenians. Just repeating over and over.

He knew what Kalika's name meant, rosebud. A rosebud is beautiful, but every rosebud, or rose, had a thorn. Kalika was as beautiful as a rosebud, she was delicate, young, thoughtful, and so much more, but she could be tough around the edges, she was strong, and protective of herself, good qualities that Jayce had realized only moments ago.

Jayce walked towards the bed opposite to Kalika's, he sat on the hard mattress and sighed. He had once been at the top of the world, or so he thought. Now he realized what the real world was like, cruel, unfair, unjust, and not what he wished for. He understood now what Kalika's life was like, it wasn't very pretty, it was quite hard. Now he wished he hadn't brought Kalika to all the trouble.

Jayce lay on the hard bed, one hand under his head, the other on his stomach. He turned his head to see Kalika in the corner, holding her knees tightly to her chest. She was on her bed too, leaning on the wall, where the two walls met. She sighed and relaxed her legs a little and stared at Jayce. 

She looked out the window to see a sunset, a beautiful one, the sky now full of oranges, yellows pinks, and many other colours. She turned away from the sunset and looked at the wall ahead of her, tuning out many things around her. She thought about home, about everything she just lost. Jayce interrupted her thoughts with a simple sentence. 

"I guess you aren't my servant anymore," He said. "we are both servants now."

Kalika chose her next words carefully. "No, I'm still your servant." She paused. "And that isn't going to change, no matter what happens to the both of us."

---------------------

I hope you enjoyed this chaptered! I stayed up till 12:11 am to write this for you guys! A lot of people seem to like this so why not right?

Please tell me what I can work on!

Please: Comment, Follow, Vote, Share & Add!

Graphic above by Blosssomss