Chapter 13

"Come in, and Oceana close the door quick." Kalika finally said.

"Who are they?" Rhodes eyed the two boys carefully.

"That is Jayce." She pointed to the blonde one. "That is Ophion." She pointed to the auburn haired boy.

Odysseus looked at the two boys. He was the older of the twins and felt as though he would have to be the older brother who was always protecting the others. Both him and Rhodes were always watching Kalika and Oceana, normally, Odysseus would be keeping an eye on Kalika, Rhodes on Oceana. Now he was watching carefully, making sure that Kalika would stay safe.

"What do you think you're doing here?!" Kalika finally asked after the door closed.

"We came looking for you. What else?" Jayce replied calmly.

Kalika shook her head and sat on her bed, Oceana following and sitting beside her. Rhodes and Odysseus came and stood by her bed, in a way they looked like body guards for the two young girls. 

Ophion looked at the four kids, for the first time, he realized how close Kalika was to her family, or at least her brothers and sister. He saw the resemblance as well, the grey eyes, the golden brown hair, and even their facial features. They could pass for fraternal quadruplets, although, Ophion knew that couldn't be true.

"Well yeah, I got that, but why now?" Kalika looked into Jayce's blue eyes.

"Jayce and I wanted to thank you," Ophion said for Jayce.

Kalika was startled, for a moment she didn't know what for, but soon she realized why. She thought why they would come just to say thank you. It seemed odd to her, and she was unfamiliar with these kinds of things.

"You- you're welcome." she sputtered out.

"Thanks for what?" Oceana asked as she turned to see the bewildered Kalika.

"For taking us home, to our family," Jayce replied looking at Ophion.

Kalika looked at two, just for a second she thought she saw a connection between the two, but she didn't know what it was.

"Oh, by the way, we're related," Ophion said out of the blue.

Kalika gaped at them. She was surprised, but they related, in what world?

"How?" She finally said.

"My brother's wife's sister is his mom," Jayce said, thinking about each word.

The kids looked at each other, a little confused, but they understood. Finally, Kalika stood and faced Jayce and Ophion.

"Go home." She firmly said.

"No, I'm not going home." Jayce and Ophion said in union.

"Why?" Odysseus asked the two.

"We need to talk," Jayce said. "You know why Kalika."

"Please no," Kalika said with strain in her voice.

~*~

Kalika sat on a rock near the river, Oceana, Rhodes, and Odysseus beside her. Her brothers and sisters by her side made her happy, they had just been playing around, now they sat there in the sun drying off.

Kalika stood and set a blanket out, setting a lunch out for the 4 of them. It was Rhodes and Odysseus' birthday, they were 9 now, Kalika 10 and Oceana 8. Kalika took plates and put food on each. She handed Odysseus and Rhodes the ones with the most food, second most to Oceana and least for herself.

"Kalika?" Oceana asked as she took a bite out of her bread.

"Yes?" She wiped the crumbs away from her cheek.

"Why do you eat so little?" She asked, the others perked their heads up and waited for her answer.

She didn't know how to answer the question, it was tough, she had her reason but to explain it to her younger siblings would be hard. She thought about her answer, she didn't want to over complicate things, but she didn't want them to worry. After thinking for awhile, she came up with her answer. 

"Because I want you to be happy and healthy." she paused as she saw them looking at her. "Sometimes, to make others happy, you just have to sacrifice yourself."

~*~

Jayce and Ophion looked at her, they wondered why she was like this, why she didn't want them to stay. Jayce glanced at Kalika and watched as she looked at her siblings, they all looked at her as if they understood the situation, even thought Jayce and Ophion didn't. 

Rhodes turned his head to a window in their wall, the sun was down, almost dark outside. He of all people understood Kalika perfectly, he knew why she had told Jayce and Ophion to leave. He knew all about Kalika, even though he seemed to always be the one with Oceana, he knew Kalika better. 

"I need a reason to leave." Jayce firmly said.

Even though he wanted to be soft on Kalika, he knew that was the one thing he couldn't do. As one who was only a servant a few weeks, he had learned how to deal with one, but he also still had that "master sense" in him. He knew how to direct people and how to make sure that they did as told, and nothing else.

"Your family will be worried," Kalika said on the spot. "Yours too Ophion."

"You're right." Jayce thought for a moment and glanced at Kalika's relieved expression. "Oh, but I told my parents, and Ophion did too, I forgot to mention that."

Kalika looked at him amazed, she thought, since he had been a pampered boy, that he wouldn't be smart enough to use strategy. She was wrong, perhaps the weeks with her had rubbed off on him, or maybe Ophion had gotten to his head. If not, she didn't know what was wrong with him.

"Oh, how about Pippo?" she thought fast, she knew how to play this game.

Jayce smiled slyly and stepped closer to her, he watched as Kalika stepped up to him. She looked into his ice cold eyes, he looked into her angry eyes. She pursed her lips and waited for a response.

"I met him, he's in battle line now." He said as he smiled slyly. "Why don't you let me stay?"

Suddenly, a bang at the door, Odysseus and Rhodes rose, Oceana startled flinched at the sound. Kalika looked over Jayce's shoulder.

"Because of that." She hung her head in shame, turned her body to the side and put a hand up to her face.

------------------

I hope you liked this! I know it is late, but I went with my family who are visiting so, yeah, and plus I've been joining many contests lately and have busy on that. 

Please tell me what I can work on, and what you'd like to see in this book!

Please: Comment, Follow, Vote, Share & Add!