Chapter 16

Kalika yawned as she saw the water. They had travelled over night, and they and the horses were now tired. She stopped Andor, and looked around, spotting trees in the distance.

"Hey guys, we should rest." She looked at Ophion, who was practically falling asleep on his horse.

"I agree." Echo said as she raised one hand to rub her eye.

Kalika watched as Ophion's head rested on his horse's neck, he had fallen to sleep. "Echo, let's go to the trees, I'll take Ophion along."

Echo nodded slowly and trotted to the grove of trees. She hopped off the horse, yet didn't tie the horse, too tired to do anything more, instead, she fell asleep by the tree. Kalika sighed as she got off her own horse, taking the reins of her horse and Ophion's to the same tree. She pulled Ophion off the horse after pulling his feet out of the stirrups.

She set Ophion beside Echo, who both were asleep peacefully. Kalika took the reins of Echo's horse and tied him to a branch, then Ophion's horse, then her own. She looked at the others, she knew, even though she was the youngest out of them all, that she would still be the one to take care of them. She stared at the moon, only a few hours of sleep before she had to wake up to get ready for the next day of travel. She would have to be the first one awake, make breakfast then to get them and the horses ready.

There were packs on the horses, she had put different things in everyone's, in hers were food and water. In Ophion's were blankets, clothes, and things like that. Echo's held other utensils, for writing, money, and such.

She reached into Ophion's pack and took out three blankets, setting one on top of Ophion, and another on top of Echo. She took the other one and sat down beside Echo, she reached over and set her down in a laying down position, as she had to Ophion before. Now it was her turn to get some rest.

~*~

Kalika woke up, the sun rising before her eyes. The others were still asleep, the horses too. She stood up, folding her blanket and putting it back inside the bag on Ophion's horse, careful not to wake the others.

She looked in her pack, she took out some fruit and bread, she set them on the cloth that she had taken out and put them down on a plate. The other's slowly woke up as she set the water on nearby. They stared at the wide awake Kalika.

"How are you not tired?" Ophion asked surprised.

"I got used to it, every night I was with my siblings, they'd fall asleep first, I never did, and I'd have to wake up early the next morning to do all kinds of stuff." She said as she waved them over.

The others got up and put their blankets away, they sat beside her and she passed them the food. They took it and ate silently, making it eerily quiet.

"Why?" Echo asked as she wiped crumbs from her hands.

"Oh, you know, working day and night, with just enough time to sleep." She smiled as she finished her loaf of bread.

Ophion and Echo shared a look, they knew that she worked hard, but to think, every day like this? it was hard work, and she deserved a rest. They both knew that to get her to stop waking up would be hard, first off, she was stubborn, and it was probably already a habit.

They got up and Kalika packed up all the things. "Let's get moving, we need to talk more about what we need to do."

"Right." Ophion got up and onto his horse, Echo did too.

They hurried off, they had talked last night about their plan, they only had how to get there and things like that, but other than that, there was nothing in their plan, so now was the time to talk about it.

"So, what exactly are we gonna do there?" Echo asked as she rode beside Kalika.

"Well, we are trying to find more information so we can tell the first line and everyone else to be ready for the Spartans," Kalika replied as she watched Ophion come up beside them.

"Too bad Jayce didn't come," Ophion said as they rode near water.

"Yeah." Kalika sighed as she fingered the rein. "He seemed to be scared to."

"I think I know why." Echo said as she looked at the others. "He doesn't want to. He seems to still be in a bubble of a pampered boy."

"I figured that out," Kalika said as she looked at Echo.

"What do you mean by that?" Ophion asked as he patted his horse's mane.

Kalika looked ahead. "The second I met him, I knew what he'd be like, well sort of."

They trudged on, each of them thinking of what they could find out about the Spartans, fantasies almost. Finally, Ophion asked a question he had been thinking about for the whole trip.

"Kalika?" He asked as he turned to her.

Kalika knew it was serious, the look on Ophion's face explained it all. "What is it?"

"Can you promise me one thing?" Ophion asked.

"Yes, I think we both can right?" Kalika said as she turned to Echo, she nodded and looked at Ophion.

"Promise me that I won't get stuck there again," Ophion said as he looked into their eyes.

"I'll try my best," Kalika said as she looked ahead.

Echo looked at the two, she knew she didn't want to be captured but she also knew, that she had to protect them, others came first in her book. She looked at the others, she hoped that she'd be able to go back home, back to her family.

She hoped that her parents had gotten her message and would understand. If not, they would come find her, and that would jeopardize their plan and their lives.

---------------------

Thanks for reading this! I'm really struggling to keep up with my schedule, if you could please support me, and show your support me by voting or commenting or whatever, please do.

I know it's late, but yesterday I wasn't at home, out of town, or city, but you know what I mean.

Please: Comment, Follow, Vote, Share & Add!