Chapter 27

"We have to tell them at some point," Lucas said to Darius and Cyrus.

"Tell who what?" Echo asked from behind.

Lucas had forgotten that they were riding together. Lucas led his horse farther from Marcus and Kalika. 

"That Marcus and Kalika, you know," Lucas said as he whispered the rest in her ear.

"Oh, that?" Echo said. She giggled and put a hand over her mouth then put it down. "I knew that."

"Wait, huh?" Cyrus said as he rode beside her.

"Yeah, I've heard you talking, and plus I've seen Marcus and Kalika together, they seem to have fun all the time." She said as she looked over Lucas's shoulder.

"Oh, neither of them know, so I guess they just have a good history," Lucas said as he felt Echo's hands moved from around him.

~*~

"So, why were you awake so long that night?" Marcus asked as they kept riding.

"Just cause, you were up too," Kalika said as she lightly nudged him.

"Yeah, because I heard someone talking, but I didn't hear what they said," Marcus said. "What's your reason?"

"I woke up when I heard talking too," Kalika said in reply, not wanting to tell the whole story.

Marcus got the point, but he couldn't help but wonder why she wouldn't tell him. He let it go and they kept on going. Soon, he saw the city, he felt Kalika's hands clench under his. He put one hand on her shoulder, hoping to make her feel better.

"It'll be fine," He whispered into her ear.

"Thanks," Kalika smiled but turned to Echo. "Echo, when we get back, I need to have a talk with you."

"Kay." She said in reply.

"We're almost there right?" Filia said from behind them.

"Yes, close," Kalika said in return.

Soon they arrived and met with some soldiers. Pippo came to his sister and took her down from the horse.

"Safe trip?" He asked looking into his eyes.

"Pretty much." She replied as she kept going.

They rode to Samia and Maia's house and helped the others move in. Now they just had to figure out what to do next.

"So, who are we sending home first?" Ophion asked as he got back on his horse.

"We should send you home first Ophion, your sister is probably waiting," Kalika said as she got on a horse and waited for Marcus.

He got onto the horse and let Kalika lead the horse. They soon got to Ophion's house and dropped him off, the others chatted with them, but Kalika got off her horse and pulled Echo aside.

"Thank you," Kalika said as she held Echo's hands.

"For what?" Echo was confused, she hadn't done much for her.

"For being willing to be with Nick." She said as they talked.

Echo hadn't known that she had overheard her, that was why her eyes were wet the night they had to hurry. Her lips parted and her jaw hung open. "How?"

"I was awake, I heard what you said, and thank you for saying so, but I and Marcus are only friends," Kalika said as she let go of her hands. "But don't get me wrong, I wasn't planning on falling in love with Nick anyway."

Echo looked to Lucas who she could see behind Kalika, she caught his eye, and she watched as he signalled for her to tell Kalika, it was now or never.

"I have something else to tell you Kalika." Echo said, a guilty expression on her face.

Lucas came up behind her, but Kalika didn't know, finally, Echo let it out. "You and Marcus, you guys will be a thing."

"What...?" Kalika looked confused.

"You and Marcus." Echo replied again.

Kalika stepped back and tripped over her own feet. Luckily, Lucas was there, knowing what she would do. He caught her and held her up. Kalika stood still, Lucas's arms still there for support. He watched as she took all the information in. She turned her head to look back, Marcus was watching her, he walked over.

"Does he know yet?" Kalika asked Lucas.

"No, but it won't matter, he already likes you," Lucas said.

"What?!" She said as she turned her head. "Oh, hi."

Marcus smiled and watched them. "What's going on?"

Lucas let go of Kalika and turned to face his brother. "We need to talk." He said as they went to the side.

Kalika looked at Echo and sighed. Echo stood by her side, putting an arm around her. "Let's go get you home." She said.

"No, home is the last place I want to be," Kalika said as she got onto a horse. "Can we go to the river?"

"Of course," Echo got onto her horse and looked back to see Echo nodding, telling her to go on.

They rode away and soon found themselves sitting by the same rock that they had a long time ago, where Echo always got Kalika to braid her hair.

"Are you okay?" Echo asked as Kalika stared at the river.

"I'm fine, I knew it was coming, it's just so much to take in," Kalika said as she threw a stone in.

"Oh, well, let's not focus on that, we have to stop Gergor and Nilo." Echo said, trying to take her mind off it.

"That's exactly it," Kalika said as she looked at Echo. "But, I don't know how to."

"Kalika!" Rhodes ran towards her.

Kalika turned her head quickly to see the twins approaching her. They looked out of breath, unhappy and under a lot of stress. They were panicking and staring at her wide eyed.

"What?" Kalika stood up and put her hands on their shoulders. "Catch your breath, then tell me what's going on."

"Oceana-" Rhodes said trying to catch his breath.

Echo came up behind her and watched, listening carefully. She didn't know what was going on, but it seemed urgent.

"Oceana?!" Kalika said as she straightened.

"Captured." Odysseus continued, breathing hard.

Kalika dropped her hands and looked at the two. "Where?"

"Probably on their way to Sparta," Odysseus replied.

Kalika looked at Echo. "Sorry." She sprinted away.

---------------------

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please tell me what I can do to make it better!

I'm trying to get to 50+ chaps, so cheer me on :) I can't believe how high we are on the charts!

Please: Comment, Follow, Vote, Share & Add!