Chapter 2

The two sped towards the agora, the men around stared at the two children out of breath. They gathered around them and stared at the kids. The men watched as they caught their breath. One came forward and looked at them.

"Why?" He asked them.

"Running." Jayce paused to catch his breath. "From army."

The crowd around them laughed and some of them left, but the man stayed. 

"What army?" He asked quietly.

Jayce shrugged, he hadn't known, he was busy running. He looked back to where they came from, you couldn't see the army from the agora, but it was there, Jayce knew that.

"What army?" The man turned to Kalika.

She looked up at the man. "Spartan." She replied.

Jayce turned his head to Kalika, he had thought she was just one of those girls who only learned to clean, serve, and only helped their parents. Jayce knew there were girls who didn't do that, the rebellious ones, a lot of the time, they wouldn't get the chance to do what they want. He thought about Kalika, she must love to learn, she wasn't a girl of looks, she was also a girl of smarts. Most girls would only dress up, and clean around the house, the people who are the caretakers, the one in charge of the house. Kalika was different, and Jayce liked that very much.

"Spartans?" The man questioned Kalika.

She lowered her head, she wasn't to fight, she didn't have the right to. She sighed, the man was about to say something, but Jayce stood up for her.

"I wouldn't deny her." He stared at the man. "She's smart, she was there, and I trust her."

Kalika looked at Jayce, that was new. She had never been told she was smart by the people she worked with, only by her family. She looked back at the man, he was surprised and staring at Jayce.

"Alright then." The man said as he turned to Jayce. "I'll believe the son of Ajax."

The man turned to the crowd, he climbed a rock and looked at everyone else. The people stopped in their tracks and turned to him. He looked around at the silent agora.

"Men! To the Bouleuterion!" He yelled to the people. "We could be under attack!"

The men dispersed, no one missed out on the assemblies or meetings. No one wanted a beating, after all, they all just hurried. Soon the agora fell silent, not a soul around. The man turned to them.

"You better be right Jayce." He turned and walked away.

"We are Farris." He turned around and waved Kalika over.

She rushed up to his side, she walked quickly, trying to keep up with Jayce's long strides. He turned around to see her scurrying after him, he slowed down and watched as she caught up. Normally he would just hurry up, not waiting for his servants or slaves, but he felt pity for Kalika. He didn't know what it was, but he felt the need to befriend her. 

"Kalika?" He stopped.

She slowed and turned to him. "Yes?" She quietly responded.

"What if..." He paused to think about his next words. "What if we go and watch the assembly."

He looked over Kalika, she looked at him blankly, blinking her eyes only twice. She looked back at the agora then to his house. She nodded slowly and followed Jayce towards the Bouleuterion. 

"You're okay with it?" He asked surprised.

Kalika took a deep breath. "No,  but I can't let you go alone, I'm your servant anyway."

"Right..." Jayce sighed. "Right."

They hurried to the assembly, watching from behind a tree. They listened to what everyone had to say, about war, what to prepare, Jayce had always been interested in this, he couldn't wait to become a man old enough to join the assemblies.

On the other hand, Kalika watched carefully. She knew she had no chances what so ever to be in the assemblies, but she was always curious. What were their decisions? Were they good? Could she have thought of something better? Those were just questions that would swarm her head, there were a lot more.

They watched as they rose hands to vote, voting whether to go to war, defend or to do nothing about it. Most of the men voted for defending, some for war, and very little for nothing.  The man standing on the stage counted the votes.

"It's settled, we are to defend our city!" The man looked at the men.

Kalika mumbled to herself, she flicked her braid behind her shoulder, she watched the men. Jayce turned to her and back to the crowd.

"What were you murmuring about?" He asked her.

"Oh, just..." She paused. "my own opinion about this."

Jayce sat on a rock nearby, Kalika standing and watched Jayce, he watched her. He asked her about her opinion, finding it quite interesting, he didn't shush her. She only said things in small sets, not wanting to over talk, or earn scorn from her master. Often, Jayce would tell her to go on, sometimes she would pause to watch the men, then turn back quickly to Jayce, explaining to him what she thought would've been a better plan.

Jayce stared into Kalika's storm grey eyes, he watched as her loose hairs flowed in the wind, her dress picking up in the wind. She pressed her hand on the tree, holding on and looking at the assembly. Jayce turned to see the men dispersing, he saw his father turning the other way, back home. 

He thought about what his father had said to him about marriage. Only to marry a non-slave or servant girl. He would marry when he was maybe 20 or so, he didn't want to follow the rules, but he had to. No choice whether he could or not. At the moment, he only thought about Kalika, he wondered if she was right for him, and the age, the age mattered to his father. 

Just as he was getting up to leave, he turned to see Kalika holding on to the tree tightly, she had a terrified look on her face, kicking and thrashing. Jayce ran to her, but he didn't make it.

---------------------

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I know I don't have a balanced schedule on when I post, but It will be regular, don't worry!

Tell me what you are loving so far, and what I can work on!

Please: Comment, Follow, Vote, Share & Add!