Chapter 8

Kalika sat there beside Gregor, she knew it had to be him. She knew that Gregor didn't know her, they lived on opposite sides of the city, but Kalika had always been paying attention, she knew who was who.

He smiled at her, clearly delighted in Kalika. She smiled slightly, as he turned to look away, she cringed. His teeth were dirty, he gave off a disgusting odour and had the worse sense of fashion she had ever seen.

He turned back and she immediately put on the smile. He smiled as he looked into her beautiful grey eyes. She had entranced him, her beauty, her voice, her kindness.

"So, what's your job?" Kalika's soothing voice rang out.

"Oh, I work in Athens darling." Gergor winked. "I always know what's going on. I help Nilo."

"Wow, how smart." Her eyes sparkled. "That's very smart of you."

He flashed her a smiled. Getting up to get going, he waved to her. "I'll see you some other time."

Kalika nodded. "Yes, next time." She sighed as she watched him leave.

She stood up, her work was done for the day, she walked around the building to her room, meeting Ophion and Jayce inside. She sighed as she flopped onto her bed, the others stared at each other.

"Hey, how did it go?" Jayce asked her.

She looked at the two, getting her head off the pillow. "Good news: he is the betrayer. Bad news: I have to meet him again."

Ophion handed her a plate of food, her dinner. He watched as she sat up and ate. He and Jayce had already eaten their dinner, full now, and happy. On the other hand, Kalika was having a terrible time.

"I think I know what we should do," Ophion said as he looked at Jayce.

"What?" Kalika said as she took a sip of water.

"We have to go back to Athens." He said to them.

"Are you crazy?" Jayce said as he turned to him. "We can't."

"I can, and I'll take you with me," Ophion replied.

Jayce nodded, he didn't truly trust Ophion, but he had to, in Sparta, he couldn't trust anyone. He could only trust his friends, Kalika and Ophion. Even though he hadn't been in a life like Ophion's or Kalika's, he decided he would be careful. 

"Tomorrow morning?" Ophion said.

"It's settled," Jayce said. "Before the sun rises."

~*~

Jayce and Kalika rode horses into the city of Athens. Kalika held the reins with trembling hands, she had been a servant her whole life, never rich enough to be able to ride horses, while Ophion and Jayce, on the other hand, did all the time. 

Jayce would often get lessons, his dad had told him to try, and soon he had gotten the hang of it, and was able to ride. He remembered the days when he was just first beginning, with his older brother and sister, both had already learned. 

His sister, Echo, was great at riding, the second child of his parents. Even though she was female, she liked to do a lot of the things that he and his brother did, Jayce's parents let her, but she would always have to help out with chores as well. 

His brother, Pippo, was a strong rider, he would often be riding with Jayce, but often would tease or be overwhelming for him. Luckily Echo was always there for him, scolding Pippo for not being patient with Jayce. He was happy that he finally learned how to ride.

If only Echo was still with him, he would be able to get through with everything he's been through a lot better. Echo and Pippo were no longer with him anymore.

Pippo was 25 now, married to a beautiful girl. Pippo still lived in Athens, just farther from Jayce. He would visit rarely, but when he did, Jayce would try to have fun with him, but it seemed he was too old for him now, too serious.

Jayce didn't know where Echo was anymore. She was supposed to get married soon, but the week before she was to meet a man, she went missing. Most likely not on purpose. His parents thought she had done it purposely to get out of marriage, but he knew that was wrong. His sister would never leave him without telling him, at least a note. He wished that she was back, the one thing he knew might not happen.

Jayce looked over to Kalika, her arms were trembling, trying to keep steady on the horse. He reached over and pulled the reign closer to her so that she could hold it better. He held his with one hand, and steadied Kalika, telling her some tips on what she could do to ride properly.

Ophion watched as the two rode together. He was just up in front riding and leading them home. He couldn't imagine what going home would be like, he imagined seeing his family, they would run to him, happy he had finally come home. 

At first, his mother would smile so widely arms out to greet him, but as soon as her tears were gone, she would question him, possibly even scold him. Then Ophion would laugh, every time he went somewhere his mom would do this. Even when he just went to run her errand.

His father would smile, but he wouldn't run in for a hug, he wasn't a touchy person. He would probably stand to the side, then join the hug later. His younger sister would be the first person to hug him, he could just imagine her small feet running towards him, but were they that small anymore? He had been gone for so long, he wouldn't know.

Kalika looked at the two, Jayce had stopped helping her since she pretty much got hold of her horse. They both looked ahead, with a happy look in their eyes. She knew they were thinking of old memories, ones that she didn't have.

She heaved a sad sigh quietly as they rode ahead. Kalika didn't want to remember anything, she had a good family, but she didn't want to remember them at all. Her family was alright, but she was the outcast there. Not much to her family.

Earlier, the three had started a gallop, then into a fast run. They knew if they had trotted the whole way it would take almost two days. So they had hurried. 

"Guys." Kalika stopped her horse, not the perfect halt. She looked at both of them. "We're here."

----------------------

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I know I usually post a chapter very often, but I'm sorry, I was at a service, went for lunch with my family and dyed my hair yesterday, and to add to that, I'm sick.

Tell me what your favourite part is so far!

Please: Comment, Follow, Vote, Share & Add!

(I'm not gonna say anymore, you just know if you've read the other chapters.)