Chapter 45

Kalika didn't know what was happening, one second, the door was being banged open, the next, she was in the throne room on a throne.

Marcus and she were standing before someone higher than Nilo, the Spartan king. He stood there staring at Kalika and Marcus who had their heads low. He had a purple robe over his white chiton.

"You may rise," He said as he watched them carefully.

Kalika looked up and instantly, she knew who she was seeing, Eurycratides, king of the Spartans. She smiled and tried her best to look pleasant to him. She turned slightly to Marcus, noticing he was doing the same thing.

"Who are you?" He asked, walking down the steps.

"I am Marcus, this is my wife, Kalika," Marcus responded as he watched Eurycratides.

Eurycratides nodded, he approached Kalika, he circled her, lifting her chin up, touching her hands, examining her. Marcus felt the urge to get him away from her, he was protective, but he knew if he did, he would risk Kalika, life, along with his own.

"Athenian?" Eurycratides asked as he fluffed Kalika's hair.

Kalika nodded silently. Her eyes turned to Marcus, it was clearly fear. Neither of them knew what could happen, nor did they want to know. Kalika heard Eurycratides speak under his breath, but it wasn't loud enough for her to pick out what he was saying.

"What are you doing here?" Eurycratides asked as he walked over to Marcus.

"We were captured sir, my second time," Marcus replied quietly, staying as still as he could for Eurycratides.

"Your second time?" Eurycratides watched Marcus nod. "Not hers?"

"No sir," He replied watching as Eurycratides walked around him.

 "Oh?" He said as he circled Marcus, touching his arms, examining him the same as he had with Kalika. "Girl, how many times have you been captured?"

"Multiple times, probably 5, possibly more," She said calmly as she looked ahead towards the wall.

He stopped in his tracks and headed up to his throne, thinking. He finally spoke, asking who had captured them. Kalika ended up telling Eurycratides the whole story, since she had been there from the start, it was her who had been captured first after all.

"Nilo you say?" He scratched his chin, "One of my most trusted advisors... betrayed me...." He said to himself.

Marcus and Kalika turned heads. Betrayed? both their expressions said. Kalika looked back up to Eurycratides she walked up the steps and she knew she should ask, but she wanted to ask. 

"Sir, what do you mean by betrayed?" She said kneeling as she asked.

Eurycratides nodded and signalled that she could stand. He explained everything to her, she sat down on the ground, Marcus followed her up the steps a few minutes later, slightly bowing to Eurycratides then sitting beside Kalika.

"So, you're saying, that at the beginning, you told Nilo not to capture any Athenians?" Kalika clarified. "But he did, and that's why Echo, Helia, Katja, Serina, Eris, everyone else, is that why they all disappeared?"

"Yes, he's in trouble now, thank you for telling me," Eurycratides replied as he nodded. "Sadly, you are not free to go just yet,"

Kalika's heart dropped, aren't free? Why not? she wondered. Her hand rested in Marcus's, who squeezed it.

There's still hope, Marcus thought, he did say yet right? So eventually. He looked up to Eurycratides.

"Why sir?" He asked as he stood up with Kalika.

"I can't have you going back to Athens, you'll spread word," Eurycratides replied as he grabbed a drink from a table nearby. "I'm sorry, but we'll make up for it,"

Kalika sighed and leaned his head on Marcus's shoulder. She heard footsteps, she knew those footsteps. It was Nilo.

"Ah... just the man I wanted to see,"Eurycratides said as a smile formed on his face.

You could tell that Nilo was afraid, the expression on his face said it all. Kalika and Marcus backed away together and watchedEurycratides, who sent a servant to them, who brought them somewhere else.

"Eurycratides has ordered me to give you two some of our best rooms," the boy said as he led them to a room.

Marcus and Kalika gave shared a glance, they were confused, why had they gotten this opportunity? They kept walking, following the boy to a room. He opened the door and showed them in.

Kalika's eyes widened, it was the best looking room she'd seen in her whole life. There were three beds, even though there were only two of them. A table in the middle, with a basket of fruits. A window was open with the curtains blowing in the wind.

The boy excused himself, leaving the two alone in the room. Marcus looked at Kalika, who wandered the room as if it was the best thing she'd seen in her life. In a way, he understood, she never was able to have such a lovely room.

"I guess Eurycratides really is making up for it," Marcus said as he grabbed Kalika to stop her from walking everywhere. 

She chuckled and stopped moving, wiping her hair away from her face, she said, "He really did, we should thank him."

Knock, knock.

Kalika released herself from Marcus and walked towards the door, a girl was there with boxes and a basket of clothes.

"This is from Eurycratides, he wants you to have these, wear them tonight for dinner," She paused as she handed them to Kalika, "He also invites you to dinner tonight,"

Kalika said her thanks and closed the door, walking over to Marcus and handing him a box. She looked into hers and he looked into his, jewellery, of course.

"Is it just me, or is he being too kind?" Marcus asked as he put the box on the table.

"Marcus, you always have to look in deeper before you assume, you should know this," She said as she looked at the clothes, taking them out and folding them.

Marcus smiled, this is why he loved being with Kalika, she was so kind, and didn't leap before she looked. She was one who didn't judge someone before she knew them, that's how they were friends. He walked over to her and started to help out with folding, but before they could finish, a commotion started outside their door.

"Noooo!" They heard Nilo yell.

They rushed to the door to see Nilo being dragged away, Eurycratides was now at their door. He smiled.

"How is everything?" He asked as he looked into their room.

"Fine, thank you so much," Kalika replied as she looked at him suspiciously. Even though she said not to judge, she was still cautious.

He smiled and sighed. "I told you we'd treat you, but I should tell you this now, it's possible that another war will break out, apparently Nilo's done much worse,"

"What has he done?" Kalika asked, suddenly on high alert.

"Someone took note of this, you'll have to ask them, but I heard something about people named Odysseus, Rhodes, Oceana, Echo, Jayce, and a couple more."Eurycratides left them and Marcus closed the door.

"What?!" Kalika said as soon as the door was shut. "I need to go home!"

---------------------

Thanks for reading guys! I have to finish 4 chapters more at least, my goal was 50 so yeah, and I will most likely need a second book :D. Don't worry, it won't be too much of a cliffhanger... or will it?

Please: Comment, Follow, Vote, Share & Add!