Chapter 3

Monday morning and the entire college commenced in full force. Fourth and third year students rushing to their respective classes, freshmen gathering around the notice board. Trying endlessly to have a view of their time tables.
The new students were permitted  to take three extra days off to get themselves ready for their own lecture commencement.

Ariel Triton brushed the strands of red hair away from her forehead as she tried to take a phone shot of the lectures' timetable. Amidst all the shoving around her, she forced herself to stay calm and composed.

"You're studying Marine Biology?" Someone called from behind her. She didn't even get a chance to turn around so she simply nodded an answer. Another shove and she was almost thrown to the board.
She bit back an annoyed growl. When she had finally succeeded in taking the pictures, she squirmed herself out of the crowd, gulping up the fresh air.

"Hey!" The same voice called out behind her, startling her. She jumped as she turned around, trying not to scream.

A honey-skinned girl stood behind her, brushing the sweat off of the top of her lips, smiling broadly. The girl's full, dark curly hair was pulled in a high bun and the girl was clad in brown overalls. "Hi, I'm Moana," she rushed to Ariel's side, her fists clutching her backpack. "I'm in Marine Biology department too. I've been looking for anyone at all who was in the same department as I. I guess I'm glad I found one,"

Ariel's tension slowly released. "Oh. Well, that's nice. I'm Ariel Triton. I was just about to go back to the dormitory to get my things arranged. I just came back yesterday so I'm pretty much messed up,"

"I can walk you back–if you'd like. I'm just real lonely. Not so clingy, though."

"I don't mind, I could need the company," Ariel smiled in turn.

The two girls began walking back towards the hostel, others passing them hastily.

"So, why Marine Biology?" Moana began. Ariel smiled, thankful that Moana was willing to ease the air.

"Well, I've always been a fan of the waters. Plus, I've always wondered what went on under the sea,"

"A fan of water?"

"Uh huh. I even live near it. Ever heard of Atlantis far North of Buena Vista?"

"I know Buena Vista. The island I stay in is almost twenty miles away. But I haven't heard o Atlantis. Well, asides the lost city,"

"We spent all our lives close to the sea. My five sisters and I. Then, there's my dad. He didn't want me to leave Atlantis at first. There's this university over there he wanted me to attend but I've seen a bit too much of the waters. It's time to make some new friends," she smiled at Moana, who smiled back in turn.

"So do I,"

"WHOA!" They heard someone wolf-whistle from not too far.

A white haired guy nudged his dark haired friend in the ribs. "You should take a look at all the new chicks, Eric. Talk about smoking hot," he sent a weird eye wiggle towards Moana, who in turn stopped to quietly frown.

Ariel, however, was interested in this 'Eric'. She hoped her staring wasn't too obvious especially when Moana slapped her arm. "Earth to Ariel,"

"Oh, sorry,"

She watched on as the male duo passed them, the 'Eric' not even looking her way.

"You need to settle down, Jack. Really, get a girlfriend or something," Eric smiled.

"Puh-lease, and be like you? You're all tied down to someone who doesn't even notice you,"

"What do you mean? Vanessa notices me,"

"Yeah right! She's your girlfriend but she sure does ignore you a lot,"

"Stop it. No more talks about my love life."

"No way. As your best bud, I'm here to help," Jack circled an arm round Eric's shoulder. "How 'bout that amazing redhead we just passed?"

"Who?"

"C'mon. It's hard not to notice her hair color. Plus, she was totally checking you out,"

Eric released himself from Jack's grip. "Three years and you still haven't grown up, Frost. Pity. Why don't you date her?"

"As if." He added with an eye roll as both headed on to their class.