Chapter 36

"I have to say, that cast actually does you good." Astrid joked as she ruffled her brother's already messy hair.

Hiccup shoved her hand away, still struggling to balance his crutch. "I'm in pain, for Christ's sake."

"Well, it's no fun." She grunted then folded her arms. "Come on, Hic, I've spent over a month worrying, the least I can do is get some good vibes from you."

"Boo hoo, huh."
44
"You know it's my money for those crutches. You get to pay me back."

"Geez, Astrid. Can't you take a joke?" His voice feigned excitement. Astrid simply rolled her eyes.

"Good enough. Come, lemme help you." She walked over and placed one of his arms upon her shoulder for support as he let all his weight fall on her shoulder.

"You know, you're quite heavy."

"Shut up."

"Ah. Good thing I caught up with you." Philip appeared, chest out, hands behind back.
For the first time in a long time, he looked relieved.

"Phil..." Hiccup smiled, a grim memory briefly running through his mind.

"Now, now. I think you need more rest. Don't talk much."

"Don't worry about me. They say it's temporary."

Phillip nodded wordlessly.

A short silence then hung over their heads.

"Has Merida been found?"

Philip hesitated. He knew the topic had to come up either way. "No. Not yet."

Hiccup groaned. "No kidding."

"I told you not to worry about anything." Astrid chipped in.

"Well, what do you expect me to do? She came in here asking for forgiveness and I just ignored her. What sort of person do you suppose I am?"

"You were a victim, Hic. You shouldn't feel sorry. She ran away. On her own will." Philip frowned.

"Because it was too much for her. She got suspended for three months. She's been gone for one. Isn't anyone bothered about where she might be?"

"If we all are, you shouldn't. For God's sake, Hiccup."

"I played part in it."

"She injured you, can you not see that? Look at you now, it's pure evidence with yourself in that state."

"Mine is temporary. Did you guys ever think of her case being permanent?"

"Hiccup." Philip suddenly looked gruff. "You've always been so naïve. That innocence got you almost crippled, now you're at it again?"

"Yes. I admit it, I'm naïve. And I wish I was exactly innocent when she came to ask for forgiveness. We all played a part in her disappearance. Does no-one feel guilty?"

"We all feel guilty." Philip huffed with exhaustion as he rubbed the bridge of his nose. "It's not as if worry would bring her running back."

"Then we should find her. We should talk to the authorities. They could help..."

"Astrid." Philip looked at his sister. "You should take him to the junction of the Boys' Wing. I'll call Maui to take him to his dormitory."

"Yeah. No problem."

"We are being placed with the responsibility to find her, Phil. Don't forget that."

"That will be other people's business. Take him, Astrid."

Astrid led her limping brother out of the room.

Philip walked up to the window. If somebody was restless about Merida's disappearance, it had to be him.

His heart was always not at rest. Everyone now seemed to send him a suspicious look as he passed by.
What was he to do?

And now, that dummy Hiccup was ready to put his safety on the line. Again. What an idiot.

He would find Merida. Even if he had to do it by himself.

______________________________________

A/N: I know this is a shitty way to end a writer's block but it was either this or another long month without anything. No worries. I'm back now. My work's almost over so I'm SEMI-free. I'll be back with way more.

SORRY😙