Chapter 43:

Jane felt quite tensed as she tried to act like the awkward aura in the air didn't exist.

All around her in a café at an airport sat Kala, her father and Tarzan's actual parents.

Kala never failed to eye the couple warily. Kerchak had allowed Thomas and Gemma to cross over, on the condition that Tarzan won't be present.

What better time than when he was at some basketball competition.

"So..." Jane cut herself short by lifting the ceramic cup up and placing the brim on her lip, trying also to ignore the scorching liquid from scalding her tongue.

"So..." Gemma quickly tried to break the tension. "You and our John, huh? It's kind of cute. John and Jane..."

"His name is Tarzan." Kala quickly blurted, causing Thomas and Gemma to wince.

Jane somehow succeeded on not choking. "Now, now. Kala. I think you're a bit stressed. Want some tea?-"

"Why are we here? You said it was important." Kala quizzed.

"Oh. About that. Yes, let's not dally." Mr. Porter started pulling out some papers from his briefcase.

Dally?
Kala stared at these English bumkins. They probably understood themselves.

"What are these papers?" She gave the papers the same look she'd given Tarzan's parents.

"Why, those are the Reunification documents." He replied.

"What's that?"

"It's the... it's a document that allows for Tarzan to go back to his parents."

If Kala wasn't shocked before, she definitely was then. "Excuse me?" Her glare turned to Thomas and Gemma.
"Like, to take Tarzan away from me?"

"No, no. Not quite, ma'am. You'll still have the rights to him and-" Thomas began.

"No! I should have parental rights as well."

"And you will."

"I'm guessing there's some loophole, am I right?"

"Now, Kala. We aren't lawyers but we're simply trying to state what would be beneficiary to Tarzan." Mr. Porter said.

"How can you even think-" Kala paused. The professor was supposed to be her friend. Why on earth was he on their side.
"I was the one who took care of him for over eighteen years. How dare you rise up from nowhere and claim custody over to my son?"

"We mean no harm." Gemma sounded weak already. "Had we known our son was alive all these years, what sort of parents would we be if we didn't fight tooth and nail to get him back?
We had to cross boundaries just to be here. No mother wants to lose her child-"

"Glad we're on the same page." Kala came out more angrier than intended.

"Imagine if our case was yours. Your missing child was found after so many years and the guardian wouldn't agree to terms. Be rational, please."

"I don't want to reason. I'm not imagining anything. What is now is now. You don't think I'll let go of my son that easily, do you?"

Jane twiddled her thumbs, regretting accepting her father's plea to come 'unite' the parents.

She forced her focus away from the lawful table and towards a far-off room. "Daddy, I think we should leave this to Tarzan."

Kala began to nod vigorously. "Yes. Let my boy decide. If he says he doesn't want you two, who are we to question his reasons?"