Chapter 34: Frog Games

Tiana couldn't bear the stress of running from class to diner for an entire semester and more. She knew she'd have to stop sooner or later.
Her health was at stake for God's sakes!

As she dragged her tired self from the Art Faculty building (which was one of the things she had to do since she was desperately saving money for a rainy day) she held her thinning neck.

At least her grades were still platinum. But she knew that they wouldn't be for long if she kept on going through stress.

Her Antibiotics and Aspirins jingles in her bagpack as she trudged on. She knew one day, she just might pass out. From the overly loose to lack of strength. A vacation sounded like heaven right there.

But who would help old Mama Odie?

She finally reached her destination as she pulled with her last might at the heavy glass door. Only God could explain why she felt so lazy all of a sudden.

As she made it to the counter, she waved a short hello to Zuko and Mai (who never really paid attention to her), to Anastasia and Dimitri, Danny, Kuzco and the rest that sat along the way she walked.

Mama Odie hustled through the kitchen doors as she approached.

"Afternoon, Mama Odie. Sorry. Had a quiz I had to take at Dietetics today."

"Cannot believe you still apologize, child. Look at you. You've got them bags under your eyes. And you look pretty sick too. Too bad that Tinkerbell girl is an off and on worker." The petite woman held Tiana's tiny wrists in her grasp.

"I noticed too. Guess I've gotten to that stage where I can't handle all this load anymore."

"I knew you'd go one day..."

"No. No, I was talking 'bout getting me a leave. For maybe a month or two. I need to start packing me some vitamins."

"Don't you worry 'bout that. Mama never runs outta plans. I got three blazing recruits helping out from the Economics Faculty." Mama Odie pointed behind her shoulder where Tiana saw a giggling trio of Claudette, Paulette and Laurette.

"I noticed you've been down lately so I hung up new 'Help Wanted' posters. Plus, they're good for the box office." Mama Odie gave one of her wild chuckling laughs as she elbowed her young cook.

"I came for lasties." Tiana smiled. "It'll be wonderful to get 8 hours of sleep after today's work. Thanks, Mama." She garnered up her last bit of strength to tie an apron round her waist.
That day, she knew she only wanted to do the ordering and serving. DEFINITELY not the cooking.

"Order's up, I guess." Tiana looked at Milo who had his hand raised. Next to him was Kida, who slowly helped him put his hand down.

"That table asked for the chips and dip." Laurette peeked out from the small opening separating the kitchen from the servery.

"I'll do just that." Though tired, Tiana felt relieved just delivering food. As soon as she had served Milo's order, she heard another call behind her.

Tiana had done like four rounds before she went back to the counter to lean. "That was stressful."

"You're not the one cutting onions." Paulette almost snapped, her red eyes tearing up.

"Y'all have no idea what you're in for." She smiled.

"Hey. Waiter!" A sharp voice cut through the diner's busy walls.

Tiana turned swiftly towards the direction of where the call had come from.

Surprisingly, of all the people in the diner that noon, only her heart had a short halt.