Chapter 48

The class could tell that even their lecturer knew that no-one was listening to him. It was almost Christmas break for God's sake!

Immediately Professor Sebastian left, Urchin slammed down his laptop and blurted to Kida, who was sitting right beside him. "I hear Merida came back. That Hic went out looking for her."

"Duh." Layla, a Winx, chirped in. "Jasmine's party is about to commence, everyone needs a little arm candy. Why dyou think he went off to find the only person that'll go out with him?"

"Layla!" Mavis quickly interjected. "And how did you know that?"

"Don't question my abilities, Mavis darling."

Moana quickly looked behind to Ariel, who was still busy typing away lifelessly at her keyboard.
"It's true, you know. Everyone sure is looking for arm candy."

"Good to know, Mo."

Moana frowned. "What the hell, it means grab yourself a man, Red."

"Don't you think this school is based on mainly love life and affairs? We're missing the bigger pictures. Other things happen in life, you know?"
Not once did she look up from her laptop.

"More things like what?"

"Like Disney High winning the basketball match against Pixar, like Merida finally returning after her months of disappearance, like Poca and Esmeralda fighting for justice. Or Anna suddenly complaining of her sister's recent disappearance. You people don't talk about these things."

Moana forged a yawn. "Well, I'll talk about what shade of lipstick you've got to wear for that winter party."

Ariel groaned. "So shallow, Mo. So shallow."
Then she began to stuff her device into it's casing.

"Come on. You're just mad cause you know Eric hasn't chased you down since last time. Face it, this is college and we're youths. Affairs should be the ONLY things we talk about."

"Not me. I'll go alone to the winter party. It's not like I'll be persecuted if I do. And please stop using Eric as some sort of reason for my recently stoic nature."

"Way to be pessimistic, love. It's unlike you."

"You don't have a date."

"You don't know that."

"The hostess doesn't even have a date. After her boyfriend's scandal, he'll be lucky that he can still go to this school."

"You don't know that Ariel. Now let's talk dresses."

"Why the enthusiasm? It's a simple party."

"I basically came from an island, you know. I don't just get chances like this to live life."

"Whatever."

Moana stopped behind her, letting Ariel walk on. When Ariel noticed her friend's footsteps ceased, she turned around.

"Are you really going to be a killjoy? Even that idiot Shego has a date with that final year med student. Are you really going to be the only one not happy there?"

"I'm going to be ONE of the unhappy students. Do you know how many sad people are in school right now? Because of... of damaged affairs?"

"Oh wow. That sure does sound fantastic." Moana rolled her eyes. "Look, I'll go find Giselle or something. She's like the only one who's never sad. Surely, she'll be vibes up."

"Her over-enthusiasm will kill you, Mo."

"I hung out with you for almost three months. Believe me, I have no problems with over-enthusiasm. Now, you in or nah?"