Chapter 46: Aye

Merida was completely honest that the fakeness of her smile was radiating through her already red face.
The couple in front of her kept on chattering for a while, probably decoding on what to say to her.

They'd kept her smiling for ONE WHOLE MINUTE before she decided she couldn't just stay there anymore.

"Welcome to the Wisp Wooden Gift Shop. See something ye like?"

The couple paused and turned to her so suddenly, as if they just noticed her presence.

"Oh hi!" The lady gave a short wave.

"Hello." Merida said... again. She looked down at the lady's slightly protruding belly.

Sheesh!

"I'm Nani Kawena. This is my husband, David. I bet you know us already. We made arrangements for a couple of baby furniture."

"Oh. With... with my boss?" Merida straightened her back.

"An elderly lady."

"That's her. Sorry, may I take your name again?"

"The Kawenas. Just that'll do."

"Right..."

"Well!" A voice filled with cackle rebounded behind them, causing Merida to spin around. Though she already knew the source of the voice.

"My darlings!" The elderly lady began running towards them. Merida rubbed her face in frustration as her boss passed her and walked towards the couple.
"Yes yes, the furniture. Follow me, it's out in the back. I had Mordu fix them up real good."
She quickly ushered the couple behind the shop leave Merida feeling flustered.

The redhead trudged back to her counter. On days like these, she would consider herself as happy. She had no wood to chop, no sawdust to inhale, no pine to carve.
That would all be next week.

But of course, she had to keep herself busy doing something she loved.

Below her desk was a fine, well carved bow.

She lazily fingered the string of it. She'd finished the construction of the bow about two weeks ago, a construction she had started out of boredom. Too bad there were no arrows to go with it.

She wasn't that good in carpentry.

Merida let out a sigh. How she missed archery. Her fingers had began yo throb from the longing itchiness to hold an arrow, aim at a target. That was all she missed.

Lost in her thoughts, she almost didn't notice the bell on the door go off, signalling that a customer had entered.

When she did notice, she sprang to her feet.

"Welcome to the Wisp..." she stopped, her heart immediately jumping to her throat.

"Merida?" The voice came slowly. Very very slow.

Merida bit her lip, her eyes quickly darting all around for a place to run. It was then that she realised she still had no strength or courage to face anybody.
Especially while looking like an overworked clown.

"Merida." Her mother said again, this time, more cautiously, as if being loud would break something.

"Mother." She whispered as well, not knowing what else to say. Almost immediately she felt the corner of her eyes sting with tears.

The bile rose up to her throat when she figured out that her mom was not alone. Behind her, stood her father, sharing the same look as his wife, Philip, looking as dumbfounded as anyone in the room and, lo and behold, Hiccup, his expression not different from everybody's.