Chapter 30: Sports and Other Types of Hurt

"Ahh. Chinese lovebirds." Hades interrupted Shang's and Mulan's little private game of basketball.

Mulan halted in her tracks, letting the ball drop to the floor. Shang repeated her action, both staring at the coach.

"No, no. Why did you stop? Play on, play on." Although by the sinister look in his eyes, he certainly didn't want them to carry on.

"We were just practicing, Coach." Shang couldn't hide the little quiver of a smile that appeared on his lips. It was true that he and Mulan had been spending an awfully lot of time with Mulan ever since their little encounter. And he regretted he hadn't done so sooner. She was like home, everything about home. Though they spoke little Chinese together, he couldn't hide the fact that his home sickness had faded being with her.

His friends had also noticed it, for they teased him in contrast to his previous behaviour with her. Truth that it was that he loved to go everywhere with her. From the unsuccessful talent show to going to check his results at the cyber café.

He couldn't help but feel comfortable with her. And she was quite the conversationist, always giving him a listening ear. Not to forget how killer of a player she was.

"I mean it," their coach carried on. "With the match between us and Pixar Academy on the way, we need all the practice we can get. What I don't get is-" he moved a bit closer. "-where the others are."

"Today isn't general practice, Coach."

"Then, you must have time. To be playing with only one teammate. And it is the most unique if them all." He sent Mulan an enigmatic look.

Mulan opened her mouth to protest but she was at loss of words.

"Don't stress yourself, Fang."

"It's Fa..."

"I'm just concerned about your readiness for this. The Pixars are known for their very good players. In basketball, baseball, football, name it. We play only one game which is this said Basketball. So, it is expected of us to devote our full time to it. You do understand my sole plight, don't you?"

Both Mulan and Shang nodded simultaneously.

"You." He pointed at Mulan.

"Yes, Coach." She gave off her best impression of being bold.

"Go get the players. With all the preparations we have to perform, I don't think there should be such a thing as a free day."

"Done, Coach!" She bowed a bit low, probably out of habit before scurrying out of the gym.

Shang and Hades shared a brief moment of silence before Shang spoke, Hades gazing at him coolly.
"You really aren't mad?"

"Why should I be? Who am I to stand in the way of love?" His tone was so hard to decipher.
"What, is she your girlfriend?"

"No-"

"Good!" Hades snapped, furrowing his brows.

Though his tone made Shang wince, the General was quite glad that his coach could show his true feelings which was clearly hiding behind that pathetic mask.

"You do know this great match is barely a month away."

"I do, Coach sir."

"Check it, General. Have you encountered any of our players being wooed by women?"

Shang fought off a laugh which would give away Tarzan and Phoebus.

"They know it wouldn't be good for the game. Letting their minds get all distracted like that. It isn't right, is it?" Hades stepped closer to Shang. He glared at the General eye-to-eye before Shang was forced to look down.