Chapter 59

It's usually quite funny how the atmosphere switches quickly from a mood to another. Like a light switch.

One moment, there's confrontation and discovery, the next there's complete worry.

Anna ran side-by-side the stretcher they had carried her sister in, Hans, Jack, Kristoff and a bunch of other college kids running behind them.

The nurse stopped them when they all got to the door of the Emergency Room.

Anna wept.

Of course Elsa would have gone down one of these days. She had been losing melanin for days, her bones had been popping out left, right and center. And to top it all, she'd dropped hints that her treatments were not working.

Anna wrung her fingers together. Her parents were on their way already. She was so sad.
If her sister survived this, she was more than ready to offer a lot of sacrifices.

She felt Kristoff's palms hold her shoulders in comfort. Jack was just some feet away. He faced upward, at the same time wiped his eyes.

She'd just told him Elsa had pneumonia. And he'd repeated that he felt like such a fool for not noticing.

On his own part, he just thought it was intriguing for someone to actually be like him. Pale, immune to cold. He never thought it would be the sickness doing that to her.

"I'm a bastard. I'm terrible, Kristoff. Had I known- oh God! You saw how we argued tonight. Why do these things always happen after an argument?"

"Hey, hey." Kristoff whispered lightly in her ear and cradled her in his chest. "Don't get scared. She'll be alright. You know that, right?"

Anna wanted to reply to that lie but a sob caught in her throat. She looked past Kristoff's arm to see Hans, as dejected as ever.

Her eyes blazed. She was very ready to tell him off, to curse him to the deepest hearth of Hades. But Kristoff clutched her more tightly into his chest. He seemed to have read her mind.

And besides, she had better things to think of, other than Hans. Like how somewhere deep in her heart, she knew that Elsa's news wasn't going to be pleasant.

"Let's sit, Anna. You should calm down."

Anna barely even registered what had been said. At that point in her life, she didn't even realize anyone was there in the hospital.

It was just she and Kristoff and Elsa.

In their own little shell.

It was until she felt herself lowering into a hard surface did she realize Kristoff had sat her down.

"Rest on me a while, okay? You'll need the peace."

* * *
"Er, madam?"

The words woke her with a start. With the way her heart was troubled, even a breeze's whisper would have shaken her.

Anna stood up immediately to look at the huge man in a white labcoat that had interrupted her rest.
By the looks of it, he was Elsa's doctor.

In a way, she was happy that she'd woken up. The sleep was too disturbing.

"Doctor-" her eyes trailed to his name tag instinctively. "Jookiba? How's my sister? How is Elsa?"

"Well, you can see her now if that's what you're..."

Anna could definitely not wait for the completion of that sentence. She rushed past the doctor.
It was only when she heard soft footfalls beside her did she remember that Rapunzel definitely would have followed her cousins to the hospital.