Chapter 49: Almost There

"Are you going to talk to me at all?" Jane demanded from her boyfriend. At least that's what Naveen could hear from the receiver.

Naveen looked uninterestedly at Tarzan, who idly fiddled with his iPod.

Tarzan would really not speak to Jane.

Note to self: never EVER agree to pick your roommate's girlfriend's phone call under the guise of 'your boyfriend is not available'.

"Tarzan. I know you're there! We haven't spoken in three weeks. You need to talk to me. They're so many issues on ground..."

"Tarzan is not around." Naveen lied for the umpteenth time with the similar drag.

"Who is this? Give the phone to him this instant."

"WHo iS tHiS?" Naveen mimicked her accent earning a scowl from Tarzan.

Naveen frowned and rolled his eyes. "He's just not around, alright?" Then he cut the call and turned to his side, to the scowling boy with the dreadlocks.
"You owe me big time."

Tarzan gave a very brief and mischievous smile then wordlessly went back to his gadget.

To his right, Adam crossly tapped Naveen's lap. "You promised to help me study. I'm failing Botany!"

"You've been taking Botany for two years now. You'd think Monsieur Lumiére would give up and pass you already." Naveen played with the hair falling on his temples.

"If I wasn't so busy with basketball, I'm pretty sure I'd have time to read all these!"

"What can I do. I've got my own classes to pass. It's incredulous that you'd failed after I spent an entire week tutoring you."

"Dude. I had problem in that capillary action trash. Biology as a whole. I need help..."

"Your years of paying up for an A, not going as you planned, yes?" Naveen leaned forward into his desk, his eyes fixed on the screen of the desktop in front of him.

"Turns out I've got to save up." Adam then looked vexed. "For some weird reason, my aunt thinks I'm living lavishly."

"No kidding." Naveen scoffed. "You're basically the only dude who bought actual furniture to stay in a dorm."

"Peter Pan never complains about the wardrobe, now does he?"

"That weird kid basically wears the same clothes everyday. He doesn't need it."

"Oh." Adam paused. "Anyway, I really need a tutor, man."

Naveen sighed. "I can't tutor you right now, I've got my own-" he stopped a second then lit up. "Hey. But I know who can."

"No kidding. Really?"

"Yes. There's this girl our class. You should know her. Belle."

"Sorry, who?"

Naveen glowered. "She's been in our class since our freshman year. Top of the class five times in a row?"

Adam stared blankly at him. "Doesn't ring a bell."

"Yeesh, Beasty boy! Are you ever in class?"

"I thought I was. Maybe not so much."

Too weak for words, the Maldonian just carried on. "She'll be pleased to help. Anywhere books are involved, trust me, she's there. And she will know how to break it down for you. I'll call her up."

"Sounds like summer school all over again."

"Do you want to pass or don't you-"

"Well, I guess it'll be good to pass and all that nonsense, y'know. Without using my ATM card as a weapon for... uh... Naveen?" Adam halted when he noticed his friend had long lost focus, staring at something from over his shoulder with a look of surprise on his face.