Nine

Harry was surprisingly having a decent morning. He made it all the way to his locker without any run-ins with the team or with any new gossip springing up about him. Which, sadly, was counted as a success in his mind. Just as he finished switching his bag out for his books, he closed the locker door and turned around. Of course, that was when he noticed Stan, Oli, and Calvin standing right there behind him. He should have known his luck would wear thin eventually.

With a huff, Harry tucked his books underneath his arm and settled back. "What do you guys want?"

The three of them didn't respond, and Harry looked between each one of them to figure out what was going on. All he wanted to do was get his shit and head to his class. When none of them moved, Harry decided to. He took a step as if he was going to walk past the group of them, but that was when Stan pushed him forward. Harry yelped as he stumbled over his feet, eyes widening in fear when he saw the floor coming right into view.

Before Harry had the chance to fall face forward, he tripped into someone's hold. Relief flooded when a pair of arms went around his waist, effectively holding him up and relieving a big breath out of him.

It was Nick. He saved Harry from falling. His heart finally settled after Nick gently moved him behind, now standing in front, acting as a shield between them. Of course, once he got in the way, Stan's face hardened in his direction instead.

"Grimshit," he greeted.

"I take it you three boys don't want this to get back to the coaches, huh?" Nick questioned sternly.

"Don't be a twat, Nick," Stan grumbled, arms crossing over his chest.

Nick made a face. "The only twat I see is standing right in front of me."

A couple more unsettling words were exchanged between the group of them, and then Stan was finally walking away with Oli and Calvin. Once the three of them turned down an opposing hallway, Harry let out a deep breath and walked in front of Nick, immediately pulling him in for a tight hug.

"Thank you," he breathed out loudly, tucking his head against Nick's neck and laughing, mainly out of relief.

"I swear, if I could punch them, I would." Nick ran his hands down Harry's waist and pulled back, carefully looking across his features. "They shouldn't be treating you like this. They're immature."

"I'm sorry. I just - they stress me out." He took a step out of Nick's embrace and wiped under his eyes, casually looking around the hall to make sure he wasn't causing a scene. "They've done enough damage so far. I wasn't looking forward to another fall."

"Don't apologize, babe," Nick shrugged. He smiled as he reached for Harry's books, holding them under one arm while the other went securely around his waist.

Oddly, Harry didn't feel the need to pull away. Nick's arm felt safe, comfortable, and it was what he could use right now after spending every single day walking on eggshells in this school. He remained tucked into Nick's side, ignoring some of the other students who were glancing their way. At this moment, Harry could care less.

But - there was always a but - but the one person who he couldn't miss was the set of blue eyes caught looking at him from the other end of the hallway. As the two of them were walking towards the music class, Harry noticed Louis with a group of football players near a random set of lockers. When he and Nick passed by, all of them silenced as they turned to look at the two of them. Harry and Louis' eyes quickly found one another.

Something strange stirred inside of Harry's stomach from the unsettling expression on Louis' face. His eyes harden momentarily, burning a hole right where Nick had his arm around Harry's waist. Shortly after, he brushed through the group and hastily walked the opposite way - pouting - brooding.