Twenty Eight

This time of the school year was tough. Harry might not keep up with his old life at West Point, but it did seem to always run circles around him. It was always there, lingering around. Whether it be a message from an ex-friend, or running into someone from his past, or seeing what they're doing on social media - Harry never seemed to escape it. Now that prom was in the picture, he saw everyone posting about it. They all got asked grandly, and they put it out online for everyone to see. That only meant soon enough, he would begin to see them all taking pictures of going dress shopping and posting ideas for their hair and makeup.

Harry could say he felt nostalgic upon looking at all their posts online. He remembered when there was a time he would be in on the fun of just talking about it. They were all supposed to go to prom together at West Point. He would go with Reid and their group of friends. They would probably rent a big party bus to take them to the dance. More than likely, they would get away for the weekend at a beach house or something. It was what he had planned for years. However, now, he sat on the side while watching all of them continue with the plans without him. It was like they didn't even miss him anymore. They moved on so quickly, and they seemed happy. He was not happy.

There was also a video surfacing of Reid asking Cara to the dance. It was all over social media when it happened, and Harry swore he felt a knife get stabbed right in his heart when he came across it. Throughout their entire relationship, Reid never did anything even remotely romantic. He was always bland and dull. His dates never extended beyond the mall or the park, and most of the time, he would prefer to stay at home. It really was the least romantic couple of years Harry had ever spent with someone, so when he saw how lovely Reid could be to someone else, he felt so betrayed.

They were together for almost two years, and not even on any romantic holiday would he muster up to do anything sweet. It was upsetting to see him go all out in asking Cara to the dance.

The spark between Reid and Cara only seemed to continue to grow. And Harry had absolutely no idea when the two of them even first started their romance. Maybe it was a fling at first. Maybe they hooked up a couple times. Like when Reid hooked up with Nadine. Then they probably officially became a couple once Harry broke things off with him - or more like when he caught him cheating. It was all such a mess, and he couldn't believe someone who was supposed to be his best friend would end up sleeping with his boyfriend while they were together. Getting away from that part of his life was probably the best thing that came out of transferring schools.

It was Saturday today, and Harry had his date with Nick. He spent the remaining couple of hours scrolling through his social media pages and trying not to feel resentful of all the people getting asked to prom. He didn't see much from students at his school. It was mainly those who went to West Point that he still followed. He was hoping that Nick would show up soon so that he wouldn't dive too far deep into his past life. He knew it would just make him mad and upset.

Nick had been so excited all week for this date. He checked in with Harry every day to make sure he was still up for it. It was like he was waiting for him to come up with an excuse to cancel, but Harry reassured him each time that it was still on. He felt better than before, and his headache was finally gone. All remnants of the past week were now officially in the past, and he was ready to move on. He even looked forward to this date and to start this new phase of his life. Maybe Nick would be good for him. Perhaps this would become the best date he had ever been on.

Amid Harry scrolling through his phone, he received a text. He thought it would be from Nick informing him that he was there, but he was surprised to see that it was from Zayn instead. He clicked on his message.

Zayn: Louis isn't going with our group to prom.

Zayn: I'm sorry mate. He's going with the team. His date is Eleanor.