Eighteen

Harry felt so lost, the most lost he had ever felt in his life. After talking with Louis, he was rendered speechless. He knew something was going on in Louis' life, but he never once considered that it was something with his mother. His mother . It was heartbreaking, and he felt so damn guilty for giving Louis such a hard time these past couple of months without knowing what else he was going through. It was hard to hear, and it was weighing heavy on his heart.

Everything made sense, though. It made sense why Louis couldn't be with him. It made sense why Louis was working. It made sense why Louis had constant mood changes. He was stressed - exhausted - and he had a lot going on. Just like he said, he was only seventeen, and he had a lot to deal with. No wonder Harry always felt like there was a switch to Louis' emotions. He was a hormonal teenage boy who had to balance football, school, boy problems, friend problems, working, and caring for his family.

Fuck, Harry felt like he could lose his mind right now, and he just wished that their relationship wouldn't be another added stressor to his life.

"Why didn't you guys warn me about it?" Harry asked on the phone, falling back on his bed and looking up at the ceiling. He couldn't stop thinking all week about what Louis had told. He needed someone else to talk to - someone else to help clear all the craziness going on in his head.

" I'm sorry, mate ," Liam responded, sighing through the line. He sounded tired, too. " Louis didn't want anyone to know about it but us. It wasn't our place to say anything. It fucking sucks. "

Harry's heart tightened. "I just can't believe it. I mean, what am I supposed to do about it? What can I do?"

He heard Liam laugh through the line. " If you want my honest opinion, the best thing you can do is be there for him. " Harry's eyes closed, and he took a deep breath. " Louis might seem tough and like he has everything together, but on the inside, he has a big heart, and he just wants someone by him. "

"With sex, I presume."

" Not with sex, mate ."

Harry groaned as he opened his eyes, turning to his side on the bed. "It seems like that's all he wants me for."

" He's scared of his feelings for you, H. Especially with what he's going through. Louis needs someone who can take his mind of things and make him laugh - someone to make him smile and be happy. Which, if you haven't noticed, is exactly what you do. "

Harry pursed his lips thoughtfully. This was nice to hear, but it was in stark contrast to what Louis constantly told him. Now he was starting to think that things Louis constantly told him were out of fear for his own feelings. Again, it made sense, but it made it harder for Harry to get his head right.

"I guess I didn't realize exactly what I meant to him," Harry ended up saying.

" I don't even think Louis realizes that as well, " Liam teased. " You know, they have a game today? It's a home game. "

After North Bridge had been playing in pre-season tournaments, they were finally beginning the regular season. It kick-started with the home game tonight. They played another school not too far away, an easy win, especially for their game. Throughout the day, the entire school, all the cheerleaders and football players were buzzing for the game. Harry was sure that everyone would be at there tonight, and he knew it would be fun since it was the start of the regular season.

Plus, North Bridge had been undefeated all throughout the pre-season play. With how good they looked the weeks before tonight, everyone was excited to see them bring home the championship.