Chapter One

Miss Mary said (y/n) was getting a lot better.

"Stretch everyday," she chirped. "And I will officially have you en pointe by next month!"

Miss Mary was the best ballet dancer that the little girl had ever seen. Every move she made, be it to eat a potato chip or walk over to the stereo, was undeniably graceful and beautiful. In comparison, (y/n) thought she seemed like such a chump.

Though it was hard to swallow, no one had ever called (y/n) or the things she did "beautiful" in her whole life. She tried to make art, play instruments, and sing, but no one ever called what she did beautiful. Not her mother, father, friends, or teachers. That was part of the reason she began taking ballet lessons in the first place. She wanted to be a part of something beautiful, because she wanted to match the beauty of the world around her, so ballet was something she insisted on pursuing.

She hoped that her teacher's words were genuine; that she was really improving. It took the girl a while to catch up to the others so Mary called her a late bloomer. Late bloomers were supposed to become the best.

It was almost dark out. (Y/n) was walking home after her lesson with her bag strung over her shoulder and a lollipop stick poking out of her mouth. Being only seven years old, she had no other troubles in the world other than when she would be able to go en pointe like Mary. She so wanted to be graceful and perfect on her tippy toes just like her teacher.

(Y/n) swiped her tongue over the lollipop and raised her hands above her head. Mary had told her that she wasn't ready for pointe just yet, but she couldn't help but try a spin every now and again. And so, going up on her tippy toes, (y/n) hummed a sweet tune and spun herself around not once, or twice, but three times! Her red dress flew up like a ballerina skirt (thank god she had shorts on underneath) and she could hear her toes swishing on the ground in the comfortable silence.

The girl was interrupted by the sound of a chorus of boyish laughter. She spun around to see three boys around the age of twelve or thirteen doubling over. The one in the center stuck his finger out at her. 

"What the hell?!" he laughed. "We've got ourselves a little Miss Twinkle Toes over here! I think I just saw her underwear!"

His accomplices giggled at his remark. (Y/n)'s face went red to match her skirt. "Why are you being mean?" she murmured, looking down to the ground. This of course, made them laugh ever more.

She made eye contact with the snaky eyes of the boy in the middle. He was smiling weirdly. "What a fucking weirdo. Psh. Stupid dance. Come on, let's get out of here."

With that, the trio walked away, shoving her as they passed. (Y/n) fell to the sidewalk and immediately began balling her eyeballs out. At that moment, she didn't care about being a ballerina. She didn't care about being graceful. All she wanted to do was never show up to ballet class ever again and hide in her room forever.

Her face was a mess, strands of hair sticking to her cheeks because of her tears and a warm forehead of embarrassment. (Y/n) buried her face in her dress and tried to shut out the world around her by covering the back of her head. She sat there, weeping, for the longest time. Because it was a sidewalk, people were constantly passing her by, but no one stopped to see what was wrong. Nobody cared.

Well, maybe one.

After what seemed to be an eternity, it suddenly occurred to (Y/n) that someone had stopped walking and was standing in front of her. She peeked through her fingers and saw the person's bright green shoes pointed towards her. She looked up, and met the curious gaze of a young boy no older than herself peering down at her. His dark eyes were a little intimidating at first, but then she noticed how wide and friendly they looked in comparison to the leader of that trio.

"Oh, you're crying!" the boy cried in surprise, taking a step closer. When he pointed that out, she cried even more.

"Oh no, no, no... I didn't mean to make it worse!" He patted her head reassuringly. "It's okay! There, there... it's going to be alright!"

"No, it won't!" (Y/n) yelped with despair. "I've never felt this bad in my whole life!"

The kid sat down next to her, rubbing circles on her back. "Why do you feel bad?" 

She sniffled, turning to face him. "Th-three boys told me my dancing was weird and stupid!"

"Weird and stupid?! I bet they were just jealous because they're the ones that are weird and stupid!" he exclaimed.

"Maybe, but also, maybe they were right..."

"Show me."

(Y/n)'s head tilted to the side in confusion. She squinted at this strange boy. "Show you?"

He grabbed her hands and intertwined his fingers with hers, grinning wildly. "Yes, show me! Show me your dance, I want to see!"

"I don't know..."

He pulled her to her feet, to where their faces were extremely close. The startled girl blinked rapidly. He sat back down, leaving her on her feet, and bounced his knees with anticipation.

After a few hesitant and awkward moments, (Y/n) raised her hands up in the air, stood on her toes, brought in some momentum with her other leg, and pushed herself into a flawless spin, and then another, and then another, not even getting dizzy. She felt a bit more relaxed as she flowed into the familiar liberating feel of dancing, and wondered what he thought of her brief dancing spur. She stopped spinning, and her dress and hair settled down after her movement ceased.

Awaiting criticism, she looked down and interlocked her hand together in front of her. "...So?" she whispered eagerly. He didn't answer right away.

Nervous that it had displeased him, she lifted her eyes to see what he thought. The little boy's mouth was gaping, and his eyes were even wider than before, if that was even possible. She wasn't sure if that was a good of bad thing until he grinned a massive smile and noticed that his cheeks had become dusted with pink.

It was then that he uttered the words that she would always remember. The words that etched their way into her heart, the words that she would surely remember until she died.

"You're the most beautiful thing I've ever seen."