Chapter Seven

I had to admit that Genji was getting better at math. He may seem like a complete dumbass, but when he really payed attention, he caught on quick. After school, we literally only had to review a few things for something like forty five minutes. That left over an hour of time to do whatever.

I tried to convince him to adjust my pay according to the time that I actually spent teaching him, but he wouldn't hear it. He insisted on paying me for the full two hours each day, even though I probably wasn't worth it. I was grateful anyway, and I could just barely admit it... but I always looked forward to finishing up all the school stuff so we could just hang out. I was slowly liking his company more and more. Or maybe I was just getting used to his annoyingness.

After we finished up all the math stuff, I stretched and sighed. I was so exhausted; the night before, at gymnastics, my instructor really pushed me to the limits of my flexibility, so my body was lethargic and done with life. I was contemplating asking if I could just nap on Genji's bed when I noticed that he was staring at me like a puppy expecting a treat.

"What?" I grumbled.

He only grinned a little, like he expected me to know. It suddenly hit me.

"Oh. I promised I'd make your school lunch." I was still tired, but the idea of cooking a good meal perked me up a little.

"Well, if you insist..." he teased, scoffing like he hadn't been silently begging me just a second ago. I chortled. "Shut up."

I got up out of my seat and pointed to the exit of the room childishly while striking a pose. "Tooooo theeeeeeee kitcheennnnnn!"

The two of us ran out of the room while making immature battle cry noises. We ran past several bodyguards, who looked at us with a mix of sadness, disappointment, and distaste. Here was one of the future leaders of the Shimada clan, acting like he was five with some strange girl. It was a stroke of luck that Hanzo wasn't there to see.

"I'm not used to cooking in someone else's kitchen, so it'll probably be a little hard," I noted aloud in between my battle cry.

"That's what she said!"

"Genji, jesus christ."

We entered the kitchen, and I decided to grab all the cooking utensils first. Genji pointed to the drawers at the end of the room, and I pulled out a pot, stirring spoon, and two mixing bowls. I inspected the materials, because they had a layer of dust coating them. Well. He wasn't lying. He definitely hadn't had a home cooked meal in years.

I blew the dust off and coughed a little as I was engulfed in dust. "Okay!" I yelled. "This is a start!"

"What are you going to cook?"

"Well, what do you want?"

"Some really good ramen, maybe?"

I smiled. Ramen was my specialty. I slammed the pot onto the stove and turned the heat up. I pushed a bowl onto Genji's chest. "Put some water in this."

"Aye, aye." 

He did as I asked, and I went ahead and started making the broth. Genji watched with amazement as I started working wonders. A dash of salt. A bit of broth mix. Pepper. Egg. And then stir.

"Remind me why I'm doing this for you again?"

"Because you're in love with me."

I shot him a what-the-fuck look, to which he responded with a smirk. "Just kidding! I need the nutrition."

"I regret not starving your ass."

"Please. If there's anything you want to do to this ass, it's tap it."