Chapter Forty Eight

Y/N'S POV

Though I was laying in bed, I was wide awake. In one hand, I clutched a small cb radio I had stolen from a cop a long time ago.

I had the volume turned down to the lowest possible setting. I pressed the small receiver against my ear to listen to what they were saying.

"Car chase... looks like... armed..."

I tuned out what they were saying. It didn't matter so long as they didn't mention him.

When a hero from Overwatch shows up to help the police, they usually mentioned it over the radio with a detailed description. And thus, night after night, I had been curled up in bed, listening intently, waiting for them to mention something -- anything --- about the green cyborg ninja.

Sombra was fast asleep. While I knew that the other Talon members would be awake and busy despite the fact that it was 2 AM, the only one keeping track of my whereabouts was her. She seemed to be walking on eggshells ever since the encounter, making sure to take note of where I was at all times.

While I was still completing my missions to throw off suspicion, my mind was somewhere else. For once, I held some sort of ambition for myself.

"Seems like... it is! Genji, the hero, is here!"

As they said that name, I felt an unknown emotion sweep through my body. It felt like my breath had been knocked out of my completely, and I found my hand gripping the radio as tightly as I could. I was listening now.

"...sword... throwing stars... moves so fast... 24th Avenue, Tokyo..."

It was him. There was no doubt. 

Keeping my eyes trained on Sombra's slumped-over form, I silently slipped out of bed, one hand reaching for my knife belt and the other grasping my new porcelain mask. I slipped it on over my face, heaving a small sigh of relief at the familiarity, before shooting one last look at Sombra. 

She knew something about my past. They all did. Yet they kept me in the dark. Why? When I had demonstrated nothing but loyalty.

It wasn't like me to question authority. It wasn't like me to feel anything at all. Yet the meeting with the cyborg had left me full of emotions I hadn't experienced since Moira awoken me: curiosity. And anger. Lots of it.

I had a plan. It was rough, brash, and not thought out at all. I hated the fact that I was acting on impulse and emotion rather than logic, but as long as the cyborg walked free, I had a weakness.

I narrowed my eyes as I slipped through the door into the cold halls of the facility. There was hardly any light at all, but I had gotten accustomed to navigating the grated floor plan over the past couple of months.

With footsteps as light as a feather, I found the room I was looking for. I looked left and right, ensuring that I was truly alone, and then entered.

Laying on her desk, passed out from exhaustion, was Airi, one of Talon's younger recruits. At the age of 17, she had become one of Moira's understudies in the field of science. She aligned strongly with Talon's chaos principles and left her old life behind to join us.

She had been assigned to me as essentially a trainee of sorts, having to assist me with anything and everything. It was a risk coming to her for help, but she was young and naive and easy to manipulate compared to the others.

I placed a gloved hand over her mouth and her eyes shot open with shock. I raised a finger to my lips, a silent order to keep silent, and then removed my hand. 

She adjusted her bottle-cap glasses and sat up in her chair. "Sal? What time is it? Oh no... am I late for training?!" 

Her pale skin began to burn a bright red with embarrassment. "How long have I been sleeping? Oh no... oh no..."