Chapter Twenty Six

Three knives flew from my fingers, plunking loudly into the targets in front of me. They all managed to land, but not in the center of the targets, causing me to huff with disappointment. I heard Genji whistle behind me.

"You're getting better," he complimented, taking another spoonful of the soup I'd just cooked for him. He was seated on his porch step, watching me practice. "Mmmhmm. You're a real natural with the knives."

"Don't talk with your mouth full," I scolded.

He stuck his tongue out at me, bits of crushed meat and vegetables on top of it. I waved a knife around in the air threateningly, causing him to recoil in fear and laugh.

I poised in front of the targets again, and threw one again, which landed where it was supposed to. I jumped with happiness, dancing in place a little. "Whoo! Did you see that?!" I called back to him.

"Yes, of course! How's your ballet practice going, by the way? You've been so preoccupied with knife throwing these days."

"It's going great, still. I have a recital coming up so Mary's working me harder than ever."

"Rip. Well, at least you can incorporate it in your fighting now too."

Genji stood up, putting the bowl aside, and took a knife from my belt. He aimed at one of the targets, and in less than a second, it was spinning out of his hand. It plunked right in the center of its chest.

I scrunched up my face, jealous. "You're better than me. Way better."

"Nuh-uh... you just started and are almost at my level. And it took my all my life to get to this point with knives. Hence why I chose shurikens instead..."

I'd been practicing with him lately, aside from the tutoring job I was supposed to be doing. Genji was catching on with all his classes, so I didn't even need to help him that much anymore. He did seem to want me to learn how to fight properly, and honestly... I wanted to as well.

Fighting came close to my love of ballet and gymnastics, which is super cool. I'd been sparring with him lately, so much so that it was becoming routine.

Genji reached over to my wrist, for my hand that was holding a knife, and raised it to point at the target in front of me. He stood right next to me, gently placing his other hand on my waist to keep me steady.

His face was right next to mine, and as I looked over to look at him, I saw that his eyes were narrowed as he looked forward, concentrating.

"So just point it right where you want it to go," he began softly. I inhaled his familiar vanilla scent, making me feel all fluttery on the inside. "Wave it once, twice, and three times..." he instructed as he guided my arm's movements with his own.

"And, let it fly..."

Together, we threw the knife with force, witch stabbed the target. I smiled up at him. "Thanks."

Genji grinned down at me, reaching up to gently brush his fingers against my cheek. I swore that he was about to kiss me, and felt my heart speed up with apprehension... but also excitement. "You're welcome, little bug..."

He leaned forward, but a sudden clattering noise caused us both to part faster than the Red Sea. Genji cleared his throat awkwardly, while I blushed profusely, the two of us trying to act like nothing had just happened.

Standing in the doorway was an older man, creases lining the underneath of his eyes, and a strict expression set on his face. He was dressed like a traditional Japanese man, in a kimono, and was leaning on a cane.

His eyes... they were Genji's eyes. That meant that this was...his father?

I looked over at him, to see that he was looking down in either respect or embarrassment or both. "Father. Had I known of your return, I would've greeted you at the door."