Chapter Thirteen

The day after Genji and I had our mini "celebration" (aka binge-watching AoT and eating everything I owned), the promise I had made to Maya made an appearance in my thoughts as I was washing my breakfast dishes.

We were going to hang out today, go shopping, get our nails done, whatever. I was actually looking forward to it. Erick had been taking up so much of Maya's time these days, so getting to chill and be weirdos together sounded pretty enjoyable to me.

I wiped my hands on my jeans and reached into my backpack to retrieve my phone. As I unlocked it and opened up my texts, I smiled as I saw Maya's contact picture, which was a picture of her pressing her chin and her neck together in order to make a double chin.

I shot her a quick text. "Hey, we still hanging today?"

I lingered on our conversation, expecting her to respond quickly like she always did. But she didn't. I shrugged and shoved my phone back in my pocket, making my way to the living room. My mom was sitting at her computer, typing away with concentration.

I watched in amazement as her fingers flew across her keyboard with stunning speed, before peeking at her computer screen over her shoulder. I scanned it, but nothing was registering, because it was just a screen of less than interesting words.

"What are you up to?" I asked. She stopped typing and glanced up at me, with a you-should-know-what-I'm-doing kind of look.

"Boring government stuff. I wouldn't waste your time watching me."

"I'm going to hang with Maya today if she texts me back, is that okay?"

"You're almost graduating. You don't have to ask for my permission, hon, go out and be social."

I grinned and nodded before walking away from her, leaving her to type up whatever report she was working on. As I examined the rest of the living room, memories of last night flashed briefly across my head. The couch where we sat our fat asses down. The bags of chips strewn around the place (that Genji thankfully cleaned up). And also... I fell asleep.

I was shocked to find myself in bed, with the blanket drawn up to my chin. Genji had carried me up to my room without waking me up, somehow, which was oddly considerate of him.

I frowned as I noticed a grey hoodie nestled in the corner of the couch, all crumpled into a ball. It took me a few seconds to realize that it was Genji's hoodie. Hah. He forgot all about it.

I reached to the hoodie and picked it up, looking at it with weird amusement. It was a huge sweater; one that would certainly drape over me like a blanket. A strong urge came over me, and as much as I tried to resist, I couldn't help but lift it to my nose and inhale. Vanilla. That sweet smell of vanilla.

For a moment, I actually contemplated keeping it. It looked comfortable. But, alas, seeing as Genji wore the damn thing everywhere he went, he'd probably notice if it went missing.

And so, I took out my phone for a second time to ask if I could come over to return it. Looked like this: "You left your sweater as my house, loser. Can I come over to give it to you?"

Similarly to the text to Maya, I waited a few minutes, expecting a response. It never came.

I sighed heavily, throwing the sweater over my shoulders to engulf me with warmth. No one was texting back.

Ah, fuck it. Genji wouldn't mind if I showed up to return it, would he?

I slipped into some converse and did a quick check of my appearance in the mirror before setting out to Genji's house.

--------------------------------

Ah, the Shimada household. So glorious and luxurious. I expected some guards to be standing outside like statues, like they always were, but it was empty and quiet. I began to wonder if he wasn't home, and if I was just wasting my time.