Chapter Thirty Seven

"It was a success!" a gruff voice yelled with elation. "Look at them! Look at them run and writhe. Look at how weak we've gotten as a species. This ought to wake them up."

Footage of the wreckage caused by the missile flashed across the huge monitors lining the walls of the room, earning several eerie grins from everyone gathered around to watch. Everyone's pearly white teeth reflected the light from the monitors like sharks about to feed.

"Peps did well. He certainly knows how to get information."

Sombra, the only one not smiling, scoffed, turning her back on the rest of the Talon members. Despite the fact that she was the jovial, playful one... she was in no mood to celebrate."No, he didn't. Now, they may begin to suspect someone on the inside," she snapped.

"It's one instance," the gruff voice responded. "Honestly, who would be smart enough to put that connection together?"

"Gee, I don't know..." she responded sarcastically, a thin smile spreading on her lips. "Hm... what about (y/n)? The genius dangerously close to Peps? Remember her?"

"Sombra, I know that she's smart. But overestimating someone leads to sleepless nights over nothing."

"Perhaps. But underestimating someone is often one's greatest demise."

He glanced at Sombra, his expression calm and unsuspecting. He thought this attack was over. He believed Talon was untouchable, the fool. "Well, if anything goes wrong, which isn't very likely, I expect you to handle it, do you understand?"

"I hear ya, Doomfist."

Sombra tapped her chin, narrowing her eyes with skepticism. She found herself pacing around the room, gaze flickering from the monitors, to her computer, to the members watching the monitors with amused expressions.

This wasn't an easy victory just yet. Something felt off. Like she had missed something. Either that, or she was just feeling unnerved. 

She had never felt threatened in the field of strategy before, her having been gifted with tactics as well, but knowing that (y/n) would probably be sniffing them out at any moment gave her a seed of doubt, albeit small.

If (y/n) was really beginning to suspect that Talon has someone undercover... what would be her next move?

Sombra growled in frustration and slapped her hand down on her computer desk, accidentally knocking over a coffee cup. She glared down at the photograph on the desk attached to a manila file folder. It was a picture of (y/n) taken candidly.

She stared at (y/n)'s seemingly innocent (e/c) eyes and gritted her teeth. "Just how smart are you?" she chuckled to herself.

------------------------------------

(Y/n)'s POV:

"Ah, goddamn it," I cursed, slamming my thumb down on the "end call" button. "He's not answering."

Genji stepped forward, placing his palms on top of mine, calming me down by forcing me to stay grounded in reality. I squeezed his fingers with my own, taking in a breath. "How sure are you that there's some kind of mole?"

"Almost a hundred percent sure. If this guy could only answer, maybe we could work out a plan to find out who it is."

"There must be hundreds of people who work for the government, how in the hell are you going to find them out? Unless the mole is just leeching off of someone who works for the government, which would be ten times harder to find!"

I shook my head, biting my lip, and then looking back at the television screen blaring the awful news. "I haven't gotten that far, Carrot. But I will. I have to."