Chapter Forty Three

(Y/n)'s POV:

I pounded on the door and waited. 

I took a quick glance around, surveying the area. It was a good thing I was doing this at night, or else there would be witnesses everywhere. 

The curtain in front of the window pulled back, and I saw Pepper's face peering out with what seemed to be confusion. His eyes lit up upon seeing me, and he gave a little wave.

In a few seconds, I heard the locks on the door being undone. He opened up, and I stared at him coldly.

"(Y/n)? You're out of the hospital already? I heard about what happened, I'm so sorry..."

"Save it."

"What?"

I kicked his chest, causing him to crash into the lamp behind him. It wasn't on, but it fell to the ground, shattering instantly.

I walked into Pepper's house, and shut the door behind me. He looked up at me, terrified. "W-what's gotten into you?!"

I grabbed a fistful of his shirt and lifted him up, and punched him as hard as I could. Blood spurted from his nose and onto the white walls of his living room.

I dropped him, leaving him as a collapsed mess on the floor. He cradled his face, groaning in pain.

I kicked his hands away from his face, and pinned him down by stepping on his neck. He grasped at my leg as he made strangled choking noises, squirming in panic, doing everything in his power to try to escape. But I wouldn't let him.

Once his skin started turning an unhealthy shade of purple, I stopped stepping down as hard so he could breathe. I couldn't have him passing out.

He drew in a sharp breath, and began coughing violently. "P-please..."

"I want to know who you are. I want to know what you've done with Maya, 'Peps'."

"What... are... you talking about?"

I kicked his stomach once again, causing him to regurgitate more blood. Anger boiled in my head, and I didn't trust myself not to kill him, so I backed up. "Don't play dumb with me. Erick told me you paid him to leave. So what did you do with Maya, huh?!"

Pepper shook his head. "I don't have any idea what you're talking about. Who are those people?"

"Don't fucking lie to me."

"I'm not! I swear on my life!"

I leaned down, examining the terrified look on his face. As much as I hated to admit it, he didn't seem to be lying. 

It could be that he was just really convincing, though. But it did plant a seed of doubt in my mind.

I ran a hand through my hair. "The name was Peps. That's your nickname. Tell me what the hell I'm supposed to think."

Pepper wiped some of the blood from his nose, sniffling as he did so. He was trembling like crazy, and leaned up against the wall for support as he formulated a response. "Someone could be setting me up. Using my name as an alias so they could throw you off their trail."

"Why would someone set you up?!"

"I don't know!" he yelled at me. "But what I can tell you is that I have no fucking idea who Maya or Erick is! I didn't even know you in high school!"

Yikes. That was a variable I hadn't even considered. 

He was right. Maya disappeared right after graduation, and I didn't meet Pepper about a year later.