Chapter Sixteen

"X goes here... blah blah blah" was literally what I interpreted from my teacher during math. I was doodling idly in the corner of my notebook, but since I didn't have Kai sitting next to me to doodle back, it was kind of dull.

Things hadn't improved between me and Genji, and I think I was finally starting to accept it as a permanent thing.

Some hushed whispers behind me caught my attention. They were gossiping about Yamana, the most popular girl of our year. Some big party was going down at her house tonight.

I'd been hearing about it for some time now. Her parents were away on holiday, so she openly invited anyone who wanted to come to her gigantic house for a get-together. Not really my scene, so I didn't really care. It was just annoying to hear about everywhere I went.

The bell rung. I stood from my seat and shoved all my things into my bag lazily, wanting more than anything for the school day to be over so I could practice on my own. I was just comfortably strolling to my next class idly, until I felt a searing and burning pain erupt from the back of my hand.

I gasped and recoiled sharply out of instinct, bringing my hand to my face so I could see what that was. A red mark in the shape of a circle was forming onto my hand. I was somehow... burned?!

I looked down to the ground and saw a cigarette laying there, the culprit of my burn. I whipped my head up and looked around angrily, trying to spot the person who had apparently thrown their cigarette carelessly.

"Who the fuck just threw a cigarette at me?" I yelled, not even caring if I got the attention of the whole grade. I was not having it today.

Either that person was a really good actor, or they managed to get out of earshot, because no one seemed the slightest bit suspicious. I got a few weird looks, but that was about it. I groaned in annoyance and shook my hand around in an attempt to subdue the pain, all while stomping on the cigarette to take out some of my anger.

Just as this happened, a teacher with a bob haircut came out of NOWHERE (probably from inside her classroom) and saw the smooshed cigarette laying on the floor. She looked up at me, and then at the cigarette, a suspicious look forming on her worn out features. I almost knew what she was going to say before she said it.

"You smoking in school, young lady?" she hissed with venom. It was like she had already decided that I had been smoking, and would not take no for an answer.

I shook my head frantically, waving my hands in denial. "It's not my cigarette."

"Picture this," she snarled. "I walk outside to see a student stopped in the middle of a hallway, smothering a cigarette. What else am I supposed to believe?"

"That's ridiculous! You can't just assume it's mine!"

"I can. With reasonable evidence. You'd better bet you're staying for detention after school."

"Seriousl-"

She clapped her hands together to silence me, as if I was a dog. I was too stunned to think of anything else to say. "Enough! I will add more days of detention if you keep talking back to me!"

"It's my cigarette," a female voice called out.

I turned to see a girl marching through the halls, her long black hair swaying behind her like curtains. I recognized her to be Reina, one of the more known people of the school. You know, one of the pretty ones that everyone liked.

She pointed to the cigarette, and then at the teacher. "I threw it. It's mine."

But I knew that that couldn't be true... because when I swept the hallway with my eyes trying to find the person, I never came across her face. She wasn't even in the area when I was burned, so it couldn't have been her.