Chapter Twenty Eight

"Ryujin no ken wo kurae!"

Genji dashed forward fast; almost too fast for my eyes to see. In less than a second, in one blindingly bright green movement, he was behind all of them.

Forgetting all about me, the gangsters turned around to try to relocate him, but they were too slow; too late. Genji had already begun cutting them down like they were made of nothing more than silk.

It was hard for me to keep track of him as he moved from one man to the next, slashing his sword across their bodies neatly. Even the blood that gushed out from the inflicted wounds seemed to do so a second or two after he slashed them open; like their bodies were surprised at the speed they were being destroyed.

Like dominoes, they fell to the ground, unable to even usher a cry, plead, or scream for mercy. I watched his fluid movements as he flipped into the air, and then dashed forward somehow, propelling him into the next thug with his sword held out in front of him.

The whole fight was over in about thirty seconds. The time it takes me to warm up a snack in the microwave. A lot of them went from being alive to being dead, twitching on the ground, in thirty seconds.

Genji's back was facing me when there was no one left to cut down. He was breathing heavily after the exertion, which was understandable. My blood felt kind of cold after what I'd just witnessed, but I knew that the two of us were the good guys.

The green glow faded from his blade, and it reverted back to its thin state. In comparison to its previous form, it seemed smaller, weaker now.

Blood dripped from the blade to the ground rather loudly, seeming to echo throughout the whole storeroom. My eyes flicked from the blood back up to Genji's form.

"Genji?" I murmured quietly, not wanting to startle him. "Are you okay?"

"I'm... sorry you had to... ha-had to..." he began weakly.

Before he could finish his sentence, the sword slipped from his fingers, clattering onto the cold floor. He followed right after it, his knees giving out from exhaustion. I ran forward quickly, arms extended to catch him.

I slipped my arms underneath his, slowing his fall. Gently, I brought him down to the ground, laying his head in my lap protectively. I placed a hand on his cheek, leaning down to see if he was okay.

His eyes were blinking rapidly, like they were struggling to stay open, with his chest rising and falling in an effort to regain his breath. His skin was eerily drained of color. Panicked, I stared into his eyes, worried that something was wrong.

"What's happening?" I whimpered, terrified.

He reached up to brush his fingers against my hand, settling his eyes on mine. "I'm okay," he breathed. "Just wiped out is all. I'm sorry you had to see that. I'm really sorry."

"They would've done the same to us," I reassured him. "It's okay. You had to."

"I'm just... I'm just really sorry, (y/n)."

"Shut up."

I pressed my other hand against his other cheek, trying to give him some comfort in the position he was in at the moment. "Shut up. Your job is to recover."

"I'm okay," he insisted, trying to get up. I pushed him back down onto my lap gently, but firmly.

"Carrot, I swear, you will listen to me. Stay here for a minute. Catch your breath."

Not having the strength to fight me on the topic anymore, he relaxed, leaving his head in my lap. I patted his head, letting him regain his strength. His eyes fluttered shut as his breathing eventually began to slow.