Chapter Fifteen

The silence between Genji and I was real. No glances in each other's direction, words, or gestures. Nothing that would depict that we were aware of each other's existences.

Each goddamn time we'd walk past each other, I'd see him in the corner of my eye staring straight ahead coldly with no regard for me. Kind of like the past eleven years. We were back at square one.

Was he waiting for me to apologize? Because HE was the one that initiated this silence by yelling at me to never come back, so it was only common sense that he should be the one to revoke it if he wanted to. I'll admit that I wasn't supposed to be there, but come on! I was only worried for him! It wasn't 100% my fault.

I did want to help him with whatever he was going through, even now, but you can only help what wants to be helped.

Of course, there was always the possibility that he truly didn't want anything more to do with me. And that was kind of a depressing thought. In that case, I guess that things would go back to the way they used to be.

Annoyingly, I missed him. Every dirty joke and stupid comment.

Maya seemed to think something was off with me. She always had a sixth sense for that kind of thing. Though she prodded non-stop, I kept insisting that nothing was wrong, and that she was just imagining things. If I were to tell her, she'd probably try to beat the crap out of Genji.

--------------------------------------

"And... spin!"

I spun as the choreography demanded, throwing my head up as the proud version of the swan. Mary watched me through squinting eyes, mentally scrutinizing every movement I made. But, thanks to the ample time that I now had to practice at home, my guess was that there wasn't much to criticize this time.

I lifted my arms gracefully on cue to the music and released myself from being on my tippy toes, tired and beat from practicing so much. I waited for her verdict, wiping some sweat from my forehead.

Mary crossed her arms, looking rather pleased. I almost let out a breath of relief. 

"(Yn)," she started, giving me an uncharacteristic pat on the back. "That's the core strength I was talking about! You nailed it! Finally!"

"Oh good," I murmured without energy.

"How on earth have you gotten it down so fast? I've been trying to pound it in your head since you were a little girl!"

I thought of Genji's arms around me as he demonstrated it to me. I scoffed at the ridiculous memory that would undoubtedly spark an episode of crippling depression, and shook my head. "Just picked it up, I guess."