Chapter Forty Seven

I collapsed onto the cold, metal grate which served as the flooring in the Talon base. I was out of breath, and panting pretty heavily.

Familiar darkness surrounded me; almost embracing me in the way that a blanket would. I could hear Sombra getting to her feet already, since she was used to using the translocator. I, on the other hand, needed a moment to collect my bearings.

"You alright?" she asked me suddenly. 

I nodded.

There was something different about her voice. It was unusually tense and high-strung, like she was anticipating something from me. And that was a little more than uncharacteristic from the likes of her.

Then, I remembered.

The cyborg had said something before we'd left...

What was it again?

(Y/n)?

Just the thought of the name seemed to strike a chord with me. As if I should know it from somewhere, or someplace.

Judging by Sombra's obviously worried state, I guessed she didn't know whether I'd heard it or not. And she seemed afraid to ask.

In all honesty, it was clear the cyborg had recognized me somehow. Was he from my past? His reaction upon seeing my face was bizarre. His voice, albeit obscured by that metal suit of his seemed so... broken. So horrified.

I got to my feet, brushing the dirt from the scuffle I had with the cyborg off of my clothes. It had been a while since I last had my mask off, so seeing the world around me so clearly was rather strange.

"Hey, listen.. that cyborg is probably insane... don't listen to anything he says, okay?" Sombra told me rather cautiously.

Without thinking, I responded with, "Why, what did he say?"

I was surprised at the words that were slipping out from my own tongue. I didn't know why, but I made the quick decision to pretend I hadn't heard what he had said.

I had absolutely no reason to. It wasn't like I had any interest in knowing anything about my past. And yet... it was almost inherent that I kept the name (y/n) to myself. It meant nothing to me, but I felt like it was the only shred of my past that I had, and I wanted to hang onto it.

Sombra's expression seemed to loosen u with relief as her shoulders relaxed from their tense position. "Nothing. Don't worry about it."

I heard the clicking of heels approaching from behind us. I knew who that was. Almost immediately, I spun around and bowed with respect. Moira was practically my creator, so naturally, I treated her with utmost respect.

Sombra sighed, mentally preparing for the scolding that was sure to come.

"Get up, Sal," Moira told me.

I raised my head, and that's when she saw that I had no mask on. I saw her left eye twitch with annoyance. "Your mask."

"Lost in combat. My apologies."

"Never mind that. Where is the doctor?"

That's when I flinched with disappointment at my own performance. I'd almost forgotten that I had completely failed my mission for the first time. 

Sombra took in a breath, ready to explain, but I put my hand out in front of her to stop her. The whole ordeal was my fault, not hers. I was the one who put the plan together.

"I underestimated their numbers. I was unable to get the doctor."

At this, Moira stayed silent for the longest time, doing nothing but glowering angrily at both Sombra and I. I stayed still, waiting patiently to hear what her punishment would be.